Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closed Captions with CGI Tag

Default Closed Captions with CGI Tag

Following the information on this page (http://www.wowza.com/forums/content.php?431#captionfile), I'm attempting to use .srt files to put closed captions on our HLS streams for VOD for iOS. I've edited the Application.xml file to include vodcaptionprovidersrt, and it does work if the SRT file is the same name and in the same directory as the .mp4 file. However, we have different renditions of the same video files and are trying to use the wowzacaptionfile CGI parameter to specify wowzacaptionfile=otherFile.srt for each video file, but this is not working. Thoughts? Or anything in the set I could be missing?

Hi, did you check to make sure you are using "vodcaptionprovidertsrt" instead of the default "vodcaptionprovidermp4_3gpp" in the <VODTimedTextProviders>??

Salvadore

I do. Here's the line out of my Application.xml file:
    <VODTimedTextProviders>vodcaptionprovidermp4_3gpp, vodcaptionprovidersrt</VODTimedTextProviders>

Without testing this myself, I can not say for sure that you can use a single file for multiple renditions of the video, from the lack of documentation on the issue my guess is you can't.

You could create a .str file for each version of the video.

Also make sure to enable Closed Captioning in your playback device.

Salvadore

Yeah, it is working with the SRT file named exactly as the mp4 file that we are streaming, but it seems that on that forum page that you could use a CGI parameter to specify a certain .srt file in the URL. This would be ideal rather than making copies or symlinks for every video rendition.

Can you tell me the name of the .srt file and the url you are using to play the stream?

Salvadore

Can I PM you the information?

Can you try to play your stream back with the url + ?wowzacaptionfile=otherFile.str, where "otherfile.str" is the name of you're file.

For example :
    http://[wowza-ip-address]:1935/vod/mp4:sample.mp4/playlist.m3u8?wowzacaptionfile=your-file-name.str
    Salvadore

That is what I've been trying to accomplish but it is not displaying the closed captions with that parameter.

I can now confirm this does work. I have tested this with multiple video files using the same .srt file.

I tested it in QuickTime player, and I had to enable Closed Captioning every time I opened a url, but it did work.

You can add these properties to the TimedText/Properties section in [install-dir]/conf/Application.xml to help troubleshoot.

<Property>
                    <Name>debugVODCaptionProviderDetermination</Name>
                    <Type>Boolean</Type>             
                    <Value>true</Value>
                </Property>
    <Property>
                    <Name>debugVODCaptionFileDetermination</Name>
                    <Type>Boolean</Type>             
                    <Value>true</Value>
                </Property>
    I intentionally tried to access a .srt file that didn't exist and received this error in the logs:
    INFO server comment - VODTimedTextProviderBase.indexTimedText caption file:/Library/WowzaMediaServer/content/sample.srt does not exist.
    INFO server comment - VODTimedTextDelegateBase.narrowProviders[vod/_definst_/VideoEdit.mp4]: No providers.
    When it is working correctly I get this in the logs:
    INFO server comment - VODTimedTextProviderBase.indexTimedText using file:/Library/WowzaMediaServer/content/sample.srt for captions (VOD:/Library/WowzaMediaServer/content/VideoEdit.mp4)
    INFO server comment - VODTimedTextDelegateBase.narrowProviders[vod/_definst_/VideoEdit.mp4]: provider: vodcaptionprovidersrt
    Salvadore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast