Wowza Community

VoD transcoding

I know this gets asked every year or so, but…

Are there any plans to support VOD transcoding in the near future ?

thanks,

matt.

If not, if someone could confirm that it isn’t supported currently that’d be great !

Just want to check that I’m not missing something.

It is a possible future feature, but I don’t have a time frame. You could use the scheduler to create a live stream from a file, transcode or transrate that, and record it. AWS has an Elastic Transcoder service.

Richard

Yes, Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 can generate a multi-bit rate set of key frame aligned renditions that will work for ABR streaming with Wowza.

How to encode video on demand content

Salvadore

No, that is not quite right.

Microsoft Expresion Encoder 4 will take one video file, and create a set of files with different bitrates(ABR set). These files will need to be located together in the same directory along side a .smil file.

See this article for more info:

How to set up adaptive bitrate streaming using MediaStreamNameGroups module

To do live ABR streaming you would send a source stream to the Wowza Transcoder and transrate the single stream into an ABR set.

This article provides more details about using Wowza Transcoder for live streams:

How to set up and run Wowza Transcoder AddOn for live streaming

Salvadore

Have I misunderstood something? Is it possible to have AWS Elastic Transcoder encode a video file into a multi-bit-rate video file, then record it for playback with Wowza OnDemand?

Can Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 Pro do the same?

Are these Methods a good way to achieve multiple bit rates through VOD usin Wowza?

Gunnar J.

Just to make sure based on what you write and the article you refer to: The Expression Encoder 4 Pro can create one single full HD .mp4-file with built-in capabilty to deliever several separate bit-rate streams with the appropritate code in Wowza?

In other words, it is not necessary to create several video files, each with the desired bit rate for VOD in Wowza to deliver ABR streaming?

I might also add this question: Would ABR sreaming be achieved in a play list generated live stream with such a video file (as mentioned above) instead of several files or transrating?

Just to make sure… thanks for responding!

Gunnar J.

Not implemented yet!?

Hello T-e-m-p,

This feature is not implemented in Wowza Streaming Engine 4.6 at this time.

Regards,

Alex

Not implemented yet!?

Users asking this for years, will that time ever come!?

Hello,

This is a feature request that we have documented, our development team is aware, currently it is in our backlog with other feature requests.

As far as when a specific feature will be available… we are not able to comment on unannounced or unreleased features or updates.

Alex

In the backlog for more than five years?! Wow! Wowza touts using ABR to save space. How does having to store multiple bitrates of the same file save space? We need to be able to transcode VOD, guys. Yesterday.