Thread: determine specific encoding for a multi-rate HLS session

Default determine specific encoding for a multi-rate HLS session

Hi,

we are using Wowza to host both live and file-based HLS sessions. For the live sessions, we use the transcoder to generate the bit rate taps; for the file sessions, we generate multiple iframe-synced encodings.

Everything works great, but we'd like to develop a web page that shows what specific live or file encoding a given client is currently pulling.

I've been messing around with the HTTPServerInfoXML example, and I'm struggling to find a member variable which actually indicates which transcoder tap or which specific file encoding a client is pulling. All of the members I've looked at seem to provide the high level playlist URL (smil), but not the specific file being fed to the client. I thought I could print out the HTTP URL header, but httpSession.getHTTPHeader("url") returns null.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Ty

Ty,

HTTPServerInfoXML has info on the load balancer listener about edge/load balancer senders. It does not have details about edges' clients. There is not a built-in way, or a work-around that I know of, to do this with HLS (cupertino) clients.

Smooth players are better at this. The Wowza example displays this info in the player.

And the JW Player 5 (not 6) has the QualityMonitor plugin that goes with its RTMP Dynamic Streaming, that shows switching.

Richard

hmm... certainly the wowza server must know which file/transcoder output it is currently using to fill the returned TS segment to the client?

I don't want to display the bitrate on the client pulling the video; rather, I want to provide an admin page which allows an admin to see what clients are attached to what bitrates. there isn't a way to know which specific .TS URL a client is currently grabbing?

interestingly, the 'uri' header as provided by httpSession.getHTTPHeader("uri") returns this
    GET /file/smil:file_tablet.smil/chunklist_w1987411599_b1478000.m3u8 HTTP/1.1

at the start of the session (which is good, because it tells me the client is attached to the 1478kb/s stream), but then starts returning this:
    GET /file/smil:file_tablet.smil/playlist.m3u8 HTTP/1.1

after a while.

I should add, by the way, that I don't have any caches between the server and client, and we've instructed the clients not to cache segments. As such, wowza should know exactly what segment a specific client is requesting (prior to playback).

tb

I don't know a way to do this. It is built-in to the Silverlight API. It is the client that requests the switch. There are not any notifiers in Wowza to tap into somehow for these switches. I don't think bitrate switches are logged either.

Richard