Wowza Community

How to realize time-shift function like nDVR but support RTMP connection

Hi guys

I would like to realize something like time-shift function in nDVR. Client can play or pause the stream, rewind to a previously recorded point or goto live through RTMP connection. the recorded files will increase due to the continuous publish live stream.

For this topic I survey:

a. How to set up and run Wowza nDVR for live streaming

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-set-up-and-run-wowza-ndvr-for-live-streaming#config

b. scheduled streaming with Stream class streams / dynamically control Stream class streams

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-schedule-streaming-with-wowza-streaming-engine-streampublisher

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-control-stream-class-streams-dynamically-modulestreamcontrol

But :

‘a’ Wowza nDVR dose not support RTMP.

‘b’ seems the stream would start at the defined time ( what I desire is to start the stream while client connect establish, not scheduled by specific time) and not sure if the video can seamless playback among video segments (it would be great if someone can advise the configuration), moreover, dynamic modify the playlist according to the increased live stream records would be a problem.

Please give me some advise for this, thanks

As you note, nDVR is not supported for Flash RTMP clients. It is supported for Flash HTTP clients.

The scheduler will create a live stream using vod assets as a source, and can be mixed with other live sources. If that is what you want. You can also use a live encoder, IP camera and other sources.

It would take some work, but you might work out some kind of time-shifting with RTMP by using the HTTPLiveStreamRecord addon to record in chunks. If you play them back with the scheduler it is just going to be another live stream. You would have to play the chunks back in a vod (StreamType “default”) application to be able to pause and seek.

I would try the Wowza nDVR feature with Flash HTTP.

Richard

Spiritsoul,

1. The scheduler produces a live stream, as I have explained, there is not a way to make it start at the beginning of a file. You would have to use a vod application.

2. Seamless transition in a playlist like this is best achieved by making the audio and video codec the same. There is nothing in the smil that you can do.

3. No, as stated in the post you linked to, it is not production ready, it is a starter app.

What you are trying to will be complicated, and there may be many approaches. We will help as we are able, but we won’t be able to walk you through this project at a low-level. If you need more hands-on help you might post in the Find a Consultant forum, or write to support@wowza.com and ask for the list of independent consultants.

Richard

As you note, nDVR is not supported for Flash RTMP clients. It is supported for Flash HTTP clients.

The scheduler will create a live stream using vod assets as a source, and can be mixed with other live sources. If that is what you want. You can also use a live encoder, IP camera and other sources.

It would take some work, but you might work out some kind of time-shifting with RTMP by using the HTTPLiveStreamRecord addon to record in chunks. If you play them back with the scheduler it is just going to be another live stream. You would have to play the chunks back in a vod (StreamType “default”) application to be able to pause and seek.

I would try the Wowza nDVR feature with Flash HTTP.

Richard

Hi Richard

Thank your comments. But for topic of realizing ‘time-shift function that support RTMP client’, would you advise other ways than ‘scheduler + dynamic playlist change’? or ‘scheduler + dynamic playlist change’ is the better one than other features in wowza 3?

sorry there are some points still unclear:

1. scheduled stream (i.e. vod case, not live) would start at the specified time that defined in smil file, how to configure to start the video content from beginning and just match the client’s RTMP connection (just like normal vod case)? or the playback client have to do some seek, pause actions to realize that?

2. how to configure smil to get better feeling of ‘seamless’ palyback among several video segments?

3. is the ''dynamically control Stream class streams" production ready? or just a starter app? (reference: http://www.wowza.com/forums/showthread.php?10666-Stream-class-example-with-playlists-and-schedules-set-in-smil-file/page6#54)

-Spiritsoul

Spiritsoul,

1. The scheduler produces a live stream, as I have explained, there is not a way to make it start at the beginning of a file. You would have to use a vod application.

2. Seamless transition in a playlist like this is best achieved by making the audio and video codec the same. There is nothing in the smil that you can do.

3. No, as stated in the post you linked to, it is not production ready, it is a starter app.

What you are trying to will be complicated, and there may be many approaches. We will help as we are able, but we won’t be able to walk you through this project at a low-level. If you need more hands-on help you might post in the Find a Consultant forum, or write to support@wowza.com and ask for the list of independent consultants.

Richard

Thanks for the quickly reply and point out problems.

-Spiritsoul