Wowza Community

Problem with external ip

Hi all!

I am trying to set up a wowza media server 2 to stream video on demand (Android/RTSP). The thing is I can access the server and stream videos within my local network, but when I access the server from internet (external IP) it seems to start streaming but in the end nothing happens. The player just show a “loading video” and nothing happens.

I have open the following ports on the router: 1935 and from 6470 to 9999.

I have also configured the Application.xml file in the [install-dir]/conf/vod directory, placing the internal and external IP in the proper xml tag

I open BS player on Android (device not in local network), I try to open the following URL: rtsp://server-external-ip:1935/vod/mp4:sample.mp4. After that, the server output shows logs of incoming request and it tries to stream but after a few seconds, the player restart again and again. It DOES work when I try to open the following URL: rtsp://server-internal-ip:1935/vod/mp4:sample.mp4 from local network IP (device in local network).

I guess I’m missing something about configuration but don’t know what it is :frowning:

Could anyone give me a hand?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, can you test you’re stream and external IP with the Flash example player:

[install-dir]/examples/VideoOnDemandStreaming/FlashRTMPPlayer/player.html

Salvadore

Take a look at this encoding guide for reference:

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-encode-video-on-demand-content

Richard

Hi Salvadore and thanks for responding.

I will try it as fast as I can.

Regards.

Hi again Salvadore!

This is the test I did:

I started wowza server.

I tried to open the following URL in VLC player (Windows):

• [rtsp://mydomain.com:1935/vod/mp4:sample.mp4]. It works.

• [rtsp://192.168.1.34:1935/vod/mp4:sample.mp4]. It works.

I tried to open the same URL in Android player:

• (3G connection) [rtsp://mydomain.com:1935/vod/mp4:sample.mp4]. It doesn’t work.

• (wifi connection) [rtsp://192.168.1.34:1935/vod/mp4:sample.mp4]. It works.

Any idea why is happening this?

Thanks in advance!

I have found some interesting information in a wowza support article:

[It is best to open all UDP (0-65535) ports for RTSP/RTP streaming. On the incoming side, Wowza tends to try to use ports between the range of 6970-9999. Outgoing the port choice is made by the receiving device. So it is best to open all ports to outgoing UDP traffic]

I have only opened 6970-9999 UDP ports (forwarded to the internal IP where wowza server is running). I will try that but I have another option which is explained in the same article:

[The default port for RTSP streaming is TCP port 554. Some players will only use this port for streaming. So even even if you include the default Wowza Media Server streaming port to the URL (1935) playback may not work properly]

So, If my first option doesn’t work I will try with TCP port but I have read that Android doesn’t support RTSP over TCP… As soon as I can I will test all of this and I will report conclusions.

Any other idea will be appreciated :slight_smile:

Regards!

Ok guys, I finally reached the server using the external IP.

The router didn’t let me open all UDP ports, so I tried with TCP port. I changed [inst-dir]/conf/VHost.xml file so as to add the port 554 in tag (it isn’t added by default) and it finally worked.

Now I have another problem… the only video I can play is the sample. When I try to play another mp4 video I can only hear audio but cannot see video.

I guess it’s a problem with the mp4 video codec, am I right?

Regards!