Thread: Wowza falling apart at 1000 connections. Am I missing something?

Question Wowza falling apart at 1000 connections. Am I missing something?

Dear colleagues,

I'm having a odd issue with Wowza Media Server and I'd really appreciate if you guys could help me.

I'm currently using Wowza Media Server 3.6 in a 4-CPU Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 machine, with Java JRE7 x64, with 8 GB RAM. This server has been properly tuned used Wowza's Performance Tuning instructions ( This server is running in an uncapped 1 Gbps connection in a world-class datacenter.

The server performs perfectly in low and mid-load scenarios. When can successfully stream to around 1000 concurrent users (300 Kbps streams). However, after that threshold, we starting seeing drops, freezes, to the point that it stops serving streams altogether.

The odd thing is: the CPU load, network usage and memory load are way below "saturation" levels. I don't see a reason why it should be falling apart, with some many resources being still available when the error occurs.

So I started wondering whether this could be related to unavailability of TCP ports or any kind of lack of specific TCP tuning. I followed the instructions at to try and tune Windows TCP configuration, but the problem still persists.

Am I missing something here? Are there any additional fine-tuning that we need to make in order to surpass the 1000-concurrent-user threshold?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by HelderConde; 06-25-2013 at 03:03 AM.

If you think the server is fine then you need to check the bandwidth. Regardless of what you are told bandwidth is the main cause of performance issues.

You can of course zip up your conf/ and logs/ folders and send to for us to check your tuning is correct, but you are well below any limits that may occur for the hardware you running, so 1000 @ 300kbps = 300mbps.