Thread: Is Wowza the right tool for my project?

Lightbulb Is Wowza the right tool for my project?

Hi there,

I have some IP cameras in different places with one server on-site for each place.
    I need to record and split by hours the videos and more of that I need to be able to add a link on my website to give to my users (after a request) the possibility to download a specific stream (I mean a specific hour in a specific place).

Is the Wowza software will help me for my project?
    Sorry if it's not clear enough, any help or recommendations will be very helpful.

Thank you.

Hi Aloins,

Yes Wowza can do this. You will need Wowza installed at each location and a web server for file storage.
    Amazon EC2 is a great option for this:
    Wowza for Amazon EC2

You can use HTTPLiveStreamRecord to do the recorded segments of the stream:
    How to record live streams (HTTPLiveStreamRecord)

Salvadore

Hi Salvadore,

And if instead having a server on each site I am having just one on the cloud, I wil need just Wowza on this server right?
    Thank you.

Hi Aloins,

Take a look at this article on How to re-stream video from an IP camera (RTSP/RTP re-streaming). This tutorial provides the basic steps for re-streaming an IP camera that supports H.264 video and AAC or MP3 audio through Wowza Media Server. You should be able to configure a single instance of Wowza in EC2 to pull a stream from your IP cameras. Combined with the LiveStreamRecord configuration, this will result in a functional cloud-based recording solution.

You will want to factor in network performance between your cameras and Wowza/EC2. For example, if you have a particular site with many cameras, it may be more efficient to host an instance of Wowza on-site to maximize local network performance, which in most cases will far exceed Internet speeds. Whatever you decide, be sure to do plenty of testing and experimentation.

-Tim

Thank you for your help!