Wowza Community

UDP re-stream- M3u8 output disconnects if no rtmp viewers

We are seeing a strange behavior

We are re-streaming a live udp stream through stream manager. The rtmp re-broadcast of the stream is always available and appears to be working fine. The m3u8 version is available only when someone is connected to the rtmp stream. Whenever the last rtmp viewer disconnects, the m3u8 stream stops almost exactly 15 seconds later. Any isight on this?

You probably have the Application.xml /StreamType set to “rtp-live”, and that a Flash client is playing the stream before you start it in StreamManager, therefore it is the client that has a lock on the stream which is released when it disconnects, signalling Wowza to stop packetizing. Change the StreamType to “live”. You might also use /conf/StartUpStreams.xml to start streams instead of StreamManager

Richard

There is no good way to do that. For cupertino streaming you should use StreamType “live” and start the stream in StreamManager or StartUpStreams.xml with MediaCaster type “rtp”

Richard

No, actually, you can and should use StreamType “live” in this case, it is recommended. Use Application.xml /StreamType “live” and start these streams in /conf/StartUpStreams.xml or using StreamManager with MediaCaster type “rtp”. If you have Application.xml /Streams /LiveStreamPacketizers set to “cupertinostreamingpacketizer” you have to do it this way to start packetization. If you leave the StreamType “rtp-live” then HLS clients will not work unless a Flash client has connected and started the stream, which is not what you want.

Richard

You do have to start the stream in StreamManager or StartUpStreams.xml, are you doing that?

Send it to us: First delete the current log file, then start Wowza with StartUpStreams.xml configured to start this stream. Then playback the stream in a RTMP client.

Then zip up the whole /conf folder and the current access log showing the above re-start and tests to support@wowza.com.

Include a link to this thread for reference.

Richard

Any way to start packetizing when another m3u8 request come using rtp-live? (IP camera)

You probably have the Application.xml /StreamType set to “rtp-live”, and that a Flash client is playing the stream before you start it in StreamManager, therefore it is the client that has a lock on the stream which is released when it disconnects, signalling Wowza to stop packetizing. Change the StreamType to “live”. You might also use /conf/StartUpStreams.xml to start streams instead of StreamManager

Richard

Richard, thanks for the suggestion. I tried both of your ideas- Changing the stream type to “live” in the application.xml file did not work for either rtmp or m3u8 connections, as we are re-streaming a udp incomming stream, so it has to be “rtp-live” to work. I did however setup the startup streams file. That works great for starting the stream for mediacaster type “rtp” but not for 'live"

So, We have improved our startup, but we still see the same two problems:

If no rtmp stream is connected, m3u8 does not work at all, and, if there is an rtmp connection, the m3u8 works until 15 seconds after the rtmp stream quits.

Anyone have any additional ideas?

Richard,

I have again tried changing the application stream type to 'live". It does not re-stream the udp “kf.stream” incoming stream ( does the .stream file type matter?) for either rtmp or m3u8. We do have the paketizer set to cupertino and the startup stream set to udp.

Is the problem that this is a udp incoming stream?

a) If all else fails, perhaps I can set up an origin/edge or something? Do you think streamimg rtmp “live” out to an edge node would work?

b) Would you like me to upload the application and startup streams file?

Thanks.