Thread: Manually start/stop transcoder

Default Manually start/stop transcoder

Is there a way to programatically start/stop the transcoding? I want to link the transcoding process to RTMP PushPublish and it doesn't make sense to transcode if it won't be pushed afterwards.

This example shows how to disable the transcoding, but I am not sure how to activate it again afterwards.

I have seen a couple of examples like, which make usage of ILiveStreamTranscoderNotify and partly ILiveStreamTranscoder.
    Unfortunately there is no official documentation for com.wowza.wms.transcoder.model.LiveStreamTranscoder, so I can only refer to

class MyTranscoderActionNotifier implements ILiveStreamTranscoderActionNotify {
      public void onInitAfterLoadTemplate(LiveStreamTranscoder liveStreamTranscoder) {
          MediaStreamMap allStreams = appInstance.getStreams();
          IMediaStream stream = allStreams.getStream("streamName");	

How is it doable?
    Last edited by kaktus; 07-09-2013 at 04:06 AM.

One way to approach this scenario would be to utilize the code as mentioned in How to control which streams get transcoded using server-side API and extend it utilizing the MediaCaster API.

1. Create a .stream (say file with the contents continaing rtmp address of the stream that you want transcoded i.e. rtmp://[wowza-url]:1935/[app]/[instance]/transcodestream

2. Start the .stream in mediacaster

3. Publish your originating stream name, transcodestream.

4. Add logic into the isLiveStreamTranscode event that looks for the .stream file. If it isn't, return false.

For more information, check out the API documentation