Thread: Im using the VOD FlashHTTPPlayer example, but cannot use any stream event

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Im using the VOD FlashHTTPPlayer example, but cannot use any stream event

Hi

Im new here, i have successfully managed to create my own module with a custom method and get it to work,
    my next step was trying to get information about the stream on the serverside.
    So i tried to use several events onMediaStreamCreate, onStreamStart and onHTTPSanJoseStreamingSessionCreate,
    but it seems that they are never called.

As it states in the title i use the Video on demand example FlashHTTPPlayer.

Am i missing something?

Thanks!

First thing you'll want to be sure is that you've added your module to the Application.xml. Try something simple to ensure the app is loaded i.e. Print out a message onAppStart. Once you've got confirmation your module is actually referenced correctly and working within Wowza, then start testing out onHTTPSessionCreate and even your protocol specific function.

Otherwise, zip up your [install-dir]/conf and [install-dir]/logs along with your module source and send it to support@wowza.com.

You can check out the following to see its implementation:

onHTTPSanJoseStreamingSessionCreate
    onHTTPSessionCreate
    Last edited by matt_y; 07-11-2013 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_y View Post
    First thing you'll want to be sure is that you've added your module to the Application.xml. Try something simple to ensure the app is loaded i.e. Print out a message onAppStart. Once you've got confirmation your module is actually referenced correctly and working within Wowza, then start testing out onHTTPSessionCreate and even your protocol specific function.

Otherwise, zip up your [install-dir]/conf and [install-dir]/logs along with your module source and send it to support@wowza.com.

You can check out the following to see its implementation:

onHTTPSanJoseStreamingSessionCreate
    onHTTPSessionCreate
    Thanks for your answer matt_y!

I have read about how modules work on wowza and it seems that to get your modules to work you have to add netConnect on a client.
    And that is not what i want to do.

My problem is, i want to get information on the stream when a user stops streaming, for example he closes the browser window. or just goes to another page.
    I would like to get Where he was on that stream (i mean the seek time on the player). without having to add code to the client.

Is that possible with wowza?
    Last edited by miroslav88; 07-25-2013 at 12:12 AM.

this is a duplcate

I will add that Wowza Application Modules add all kinds of functionality not associated with Flash RTMP. But anything involving an IClient is involving an RTMP client. IClient is the server-side of a Flash RTMP NetConnection.

For RTMP clients you can use IMediaStreamActionNotify3, but there is a lot of work involved and different approaches in the details of implementation.

Richard

Thanks for the tip!

im sorry for the duplicate thread, our main goal is to get this information för a HLS / http stream
    and not a flash http stream. i posted this thread because i was testing in the flash http player,
    and wanted to know if i could use modules and get where on the stream i am in bytes or seconds without adding code to the client.

I managed to get the public void onHTTPSessionDestroy(IHTTPStreamerSession httpSession) event to fire.
    so now i can getStreamPosition and also get outBytes by doing:

IOPerformanceCounter perf = httpSession.getIOPerformanceCounter();

Long outbytes = perf.getMessagesOutBytes();

My question now is, how does getStreamPosition work?, when i played a mp3 file on the VOD HTTP player i got getStreamPosition = 1000, no matter where i clicked "disconnect" it returned the same value.
    but when i played an mp4 file it returned different value depending on where i was on the "seek" when i disconnected.

And also outBytes, is outBytes, which byte i was on, on the stream when i disconnected?

Again, Wowza only knows what it has sent to a device, which might be 30 seconds or more (three 10 second chunks is default). There is no way to know how much of that the user watched and where they stopped.

Richard