Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding poster frames for HLS audio-only renditions using URL

Default Adding poster frames for HLS audio-only renditions using URL

Hi,

I followed the following forum post and was able to successfully load a poster frame:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....-audio-streams

However, I'd like to be able to reference a remote URL as opposed to an image that's on disk. I noticed that you have the API attachedPicture.setPictureDataAsURL(). I tried using it in place of attachedPicture.loadFile() but it didn't work.

Could you tell me what API attachedPicture.setPictureDataAsURL() is intended for?

Thanks

I have not been able to figure out how to make attachedPicture.setPictureDataAsURL() work for this.
    I am sure someone from support will have an answer shortly.

A work around would be to download the image with an HTTP request in Java and then attach it locally using attachedPicture.loadFile().

Salvadore

Hi,

It turns out this is very device specific. I have spent some time trying various elements and it suggests than iOS devices do not support a URL as an option.
    As Salvadore suggests it appears that using a Java HTTP request to get the image and then attach it is the most appropriate way.

Andrew.

Got it. Thanks!

I just noticed that when using poster frames, the audio playback doesn't begin until 8-9 seconds into the video. I tried this on stock wowza running 3.5.2 patch 6 using the precompiled wms-plugin-collection.jar with the sample.mp4 file that's part of the wowza download. When the poster frame is not present, audio playback begins immediately. Are you aware of this issue? Is there a fix in the works?

bump

This technique is used with audio only streams. There is not a reason to use if there is a video track.

Richard

Right. I was trying it with the the 'wowzaaudioonly' url param which spits out an audio-only rendition. The idea is to use poster frames with SMIL files containing audio-only renditions. When a poster frame is used however, there is a 8-10 second delay before the audio playback begins. This delay is not present when the poster frame is not used. This behavior is present only with VoD content. Live streams utilizing a poster frame with an audio-only rendition play fine with no delay. Just to reiterate, I ran this test using stock wowza 3.5.2 patch 8 using the precompiled wms-plugin-collection.jar.

We will look into it. Thanks for the report.

Richard

Actually, I think the problem is that what you are doing is not supported at present. This is the How-to-add-poster-frames-to-Apple-HTTP-streams-(ID3-metadata), and it only supports live streams.

I will see if it can be extended.

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast