Wowza Community

Android RTSP - very slow stream loading/buffering, how to fix?

Hi forum

We’re currently setting up a system which looks rather like this:

[origin Icecast server, MP3 streams] -> [Wowza transcoder, MP3 to AAC] -> [Wowza Edge server(s)] -> Android listeners

I’m finding that there is a very long period of buffering (~20 seconds) when the listener first connects to the stream. Often the stream times out on the first attempt and requires another attempt to play properly.

Once it plays, it plays perfectly, but how can I reduce the buffering time?

I’m using EC2 edge servers, with all UDP ports open on the EC2 firewall

thanks

Hi,

If the Android device is connecting via RTSP then you may want to review this guide,

How to troubleshoot RTSP RTP playback

Jason

Hi,

I’d already checked that article actually and followed the advice (such as opening all UDP ports on EC2).

I don’t think it’s an issue with buffering between the transcoder and the edge server as I can see from the logs that the transcoder stream is active and packetizing etc. Even when the source stream exists on the transcoder, 20s of buffering still occurs on the edge.

I’m using Wowza 3.6.2.

How can I debug this further?

Hi

Does the stream buffer when using RTMP?

I think this is just the RTSP client negotiating which protocol to use when it connects.

The connection is made via TCP the Wowza server which tells Wowza to use UDP, Wowza then attempts to use UDP but the client receives no data.

The client then updates Wowza after the timeout and Wowza then sends the data via TCP which is successful.

This process takes around 20 seconds and unfortunately there is no was of forcing the client to use TCP for the data in the first place.

It’s something in between Wowza and the client that blocks UDP which is why the client asks for it but doesn’t get any data.

Have you tried HLS with the Android devices which are version 4.0 or higher?

Jason