Thread: VOD and SRT files

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default VOD and SRT files

On our server, we have our video files, and IF the video file has an associated SRT file, it exists as well (however, they are named differently since we have different bitrates of the same video file using the same SRT file). This is not an issue as we are passing the name of the SRT file in the URL when necessary. The issue is that every time a video is viewed, our server logs a warning in our error logs saying that the SRT file (with the same base-name as the video file itself) does not exist and returns a 404. My questions are:

1. Is this a problem that it keeps looking for SRT files that will never be there
    2. Is there a way to prevent Wowza from looking for these files unless we specifically pass the SRT file in the URL
    3. If we cannot prevent Wowza from looking for these, can we prevent them from polluting our error logs?

Here is an example of the error:
    WARN server comment 2013-08-08 17:08:21 - - - - - 42081.161 - - - - - - - - MediaCacheItemHTTPImpl.getItemInfo[]: HTTP response: 404
    WARN server comment 2013-08-08 17:08:21 - - - - - 42081.161 - - - - - - - - MediaCacheItemBase.init: Item does not exist: amazons3/BUCKET-NAME/

Thanks in advance for the help!

I don't think this would cause any real problems, except a little unnecessary overhead, but I doubt significant. As a workaround, you might include a ?wowzacaptionfile param that points to an empty file for assets that do not have closed caption.