Wowza Community

Live HLS broadcast - stops playback after 40 seconds

We’re experimenting with using JW Player for streaming a live broadcast to iOS devices. We’re running a Wowza Streaming Server and have an H.264 stream.

Using the JWPlayer wizard, the following format RTMP stream works:

rtmp://xxx.com/live/mp4:stream

But the HLS stream address below, stops playing after 40s:

http://xxx.com/live/definst/mp4:stream/playlist.m3u8

We’ve been testing with Safari 6.0, OS 10.7.5

I’m guessing the JWPlayer is not updating the playlist after the first play event?

Is there something else we should be doing to get a continuous live broadcast to playback?

Thanks!

We’re testing with Wowza Media Server 3 Monthly Edition 3.1.2 build1624 and the current version of JWPlayer6 wizard btw.

You probably have to add “cupertinostreamingpacketizer” to /conf/live/Application.xml /Streams /LiveStreamPacketizers

Richard

I use JWplayer and have no problem streaming live …

To check if the playlist is coming fine from Wowza, you can debug easily opening the link with a browser, and tell browser to download the playlist (the chunklist playlist ideally) and open it up with a text editor.

there you can see if playlist is for a live stream or not

they look fine for being live streams. That means Wowza seems to be properly set up as per what I can see

Is you stream available over the Internet? If so, I could help you troubleshooting. If you don’t want to publish it openly here, I’m available at Gustavo@glidertek.com

Cheers

You probably have to add “cupertinostreamingpacketizer” to /conf/live/Application.xml /Streams /LiveStreamPacketizers

Richard

Thanks.

LiveStreamPacketizers was empty, so I’ve added cupertinostreamingpacketizer and re-started Wowza but I get the same behaviour. The stream ends after 40s.

Any other thoughts? could this be JWplayer related?

Cheers,

Nick

I’ve also tried this just the HTML5 video tag:

And get the same behaviour, on OSX Safari, and on iPad.

I use JWplayer and have no problem streaming live …

To check if the playlist is coming fine from Wowza, you can debug easily opening the link with a browser, and tell browser to download the playlist (the chunklist playlist ideally) and open it up with a text editor.

there you can see if playlist is for a live stream or not

Thanks tavius. I’m not an expert at reading playlist files.

Can you say if this looks correct?

Cheers

Here’s the contents of the playlist.m3u8 file:

#EXTM3U

#EXT-X-VERSION:3

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1,BANDWIDTH=85202,CODECS=“avc1.77.21, mp4a.40.34”,RESOLUTION=160x120

chunklist.m3u8?wowzasessionid=468249668

And the contents of the corresponding chunklist.m3u8?wowzasessionid=468249668

#EXTM3U

#EXT-X-ALLOW-CACHE:NO

#EXT-X-TARGETDURATION:14

#EXT-X-MEDIA-SEQUENCE:97

#EXTINF:10,

media_97.ts?wowzasessionid=468249668

media_98.ts?wowzasessionid=468249668

#EXTINF:8,

media_99.ts?wowzasessionid=468249668

And the corresponding chunklist some time later…

#EXTM3U

#EXT-X-ALLOW-CACHE:NO

#EXT-X-TARGETDURATION:15

#EXT-X-MEDIA-SEQUENCE:686

#EXTINF:9,

media_686.ts?wowzasessionid=468249668

media_687.ts?wowzasessionid=468249668

media_688.ts?wowzasessionid=468249668

Hi Tavius,

Thanks for the offer of help - I can PM you a link to a test stream when you’re next online.

Cheers