Thread: Liverepeater: sanjose streaming (HDS) works, Cupertino (HLS) doesn't - at times

1. Default Liverepeater: sanjose streaming (HDS) works, Cupertino (HLS) doesn't - at times

The setup is 5 origin servers with Transcoder AddOn and 2 edge servers who pull the streams from the origin. Total 55 channels; each origin server transcodes 11 channels and both edge servers serve all 55.

All channels work fine with HDS (the Flash HTTP player example player), but only some of the channels work with HLS (the iOS & Mac OSx example player). All origin servers run the same configuration; also the two edge have similar configs. Origins are configured as rtp-live-lowlatency and the edges have .stream files to connect to the origin containing: wowz://[origin-ip-address]/live/[streamname].stream_720p

Is there any logical explanation why some channels would work and some not? I even have the strange phenomenon sometimes that one channel works the one time, but not the next when I start it on the edge (with streammanager) it works. The error message on the HLS player is: "The video playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the video used features your browser did not support."

The edge access/error logs show no messages related to this; except for normal messages like stream created, connected, etc.

Now I know that the stream is h.264 video and MPEG3 layer 2 audio, so the HDS player doesn't play audio. The HLS player - once it plays, it plays audio too. Could it be a problem with audio playback that causes this?

It's not much info to go on, but it sounds like a capacity issue somewhere.

If you are only playing transcoded renditions on the edge they will all be AAC audio, not MP3. Only the source will be MP3.

Richard

3. Default

Still unsure what causes the error; but I found out that I can play the streams with VLC. Possibly the example player that comes with Wowza is more sensitive.