Thread: CUDA acceleration brings hardly any difference

Default CUDA acceleration brings hardly any difference

Hello,

I am running wowza 3.6.2 with psupublish, transcoder and multicast addon.

I am using JDE 7 buid 25 x64 on Windows 7 (embedded)
    I am using an Nvideo Geforce GTX760 card with 4G RAM and 1024 Cuda cores, latest drivers. Wowza recognizes CUDA and NVENC capabilities on the card.
    Server is supermicro, 2 x Intel CPU, 24 cores in total (with hyperthreading), 16G RAM

I am trying to transcode 8 to 10 1080p HD MPEG2TS streams to 360p.
    I have implemented all optimization steps as outlined in optimization.

I find the performance gain when enabling CUDA enabled transcode minimal, and overall the quality of the transcode is poor (jerky video). CPU moves between 70 and 90, with Cuda and 80-100 without Cuda.
    What kind of performance increase can I expect from CUDA ?

When trying NVENC, the JAVA application crashes immediately w/o any indication in the logs as to why this is happening (default log level, if anything else can be set up).

As mentioned, the gain when enabling CUDA is not as high as I expected/hoped for. Are there ways to improve ?

Thank you,

Ron

Ron,

Sorry for the late response. Looking at the Wikipedia CUDA article, this is not the latest but a recent card, which is good. There are mixed results with CUDA cards. One issue (mentioned in the Limitations section of the article) is system bus bandwidth and latency.

Richard

3. Default

Hi
    can you test your system performance? finally how many channel can you transcode? can you use nvenc on gtx ? thx about share ur experiences

Quote Originally Posted by ron verheijen View Post
    Hello,

I am running wowza 3.6.2 with psupublish, transcoder and multicast addon.

I am using JDE 7 buid 25 x64 on Windows 7 (embedded)
    I am using an Nvideo Geforce GTX760 card with 4G RAM and 1024 Cuda cores, latest drivers. Wowza recognizes CUDA and NVENC capabilities on the card.
    Server is supermicro, 2 x Intel CPU, 24 cores in total (with hyperthreading), 16G RAM

I am trying to transcode 8 to 10 1080p HD MPEG2TS streams to 360p.
    I have implemented all optimization steps as outlined in optimization.

I find the performance gain when enabling CUDA enabled transcode minimal, and overall the quality of the transcode is poor (jerky video). CPU moves between 70 and 90, with Cuda and 80-100 without Cuda.
    What kind of performance increase can I expect from CUDA ?

When trying NVENC, the JAVA application crashes immediately w/o any indication in the logs as to why this is happening (default log level, if anything else can be set up).

As mentioned, the gain when enabling CUDA is not as high as I expected/hoped for. Are there ways to improve ?

Thank you,

Ron