Thread: unwanted flv files

Default unwanted flv files

For some reason I'm getting unwanted flv files in my content folder. ie. 205_camera5.stream.flv.

I'm still getting content in my dvr storage directory. Is this being caused by wowza? Odd. I'm muxing video with ffmpeg but I'm telling it to create these files.

Hi,

Are you using StreamType live-record? Using live-record will create a recording of the entire broadcast in an .flv file. The file naming convention you reference aligns with this workflow.

In your [install-dir]/conf/[application]/Application.xml, change this:

<Streams>
      <StreamType>live-record</StreamType>
    to this:

<Streams>
      <StreamType>live</StreamType>
    Restart Wowza and try again.

-Tim

odd. I'm opening my application.xml (in dvr application that I created and am streaming to in streammanager) and here is the text of the xml

<Streams>
    <StreamType>live</StreamType>
    <StorageDir>${com.wowza.wms.context.VHostConfigHome}/content</StorageDir>
    <KeyDir>${com.wowza.wms.context.VHostConfigHome}/keys</KeyDir>
    <!-- LiveStreamPacketizers (separate with commas): cupertinostreamingpacketizer, smoothstreamingpacketizer, sanjosestreamingpacketizer, mpegdashstreamingpacketizer, cupertinostreamingrepeater, smoothstreamingrepeater, sanjosestreamingrepeater, dvrstreamingpacketizer, dvrstreamingrepeater -->
    <LiveStreamPacketizers>dvrstreamingpacketizer,cupertinostreamingpacketizer,smoothstreamingpacketizer ,sanjosestreamingpacketizer</LiveStreamPacketizers>
    <!-- Properties defined here will override any properties defined in conf/Streams.xml for any streams types loaded by this application -->
    <Properties>
    </Properties>
    </Streams>

It would appear that <StreamType> is already set to live and not record. does this tag reside in more than one location?
    Last edited by rochre; 08-14-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: tested didn't work

Does this have anything to do with your FFMPEG workflow? I suppose it is possible that FFMPEG is placing a completed file in your content folder, although the file naming convention suggests this file was rendered by Wowza.

Are you using LiveStreamRecord (LSR)? LSR will also record an incoming stream to .flv (or .mp4), however, it is not automatic and requires invocation using the http provider or URL queries. To be sure, take a look at this article on how to record live streams (HTTPLiveStreamRecord). Note the LSR configuration which may provide some clues to where these .flv files are originating.

I am speculating here. You're welcome to zip your [install-dir]/conf and /logs folders and send them to support@wowza.com with a reference to this post. We can see what's happening by looking closely at your configuration.

-Tim

Thanks Tim. I sent the files to support.

Hi Guys,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but was this resolved? I have the exact same issue with .flv files filling up my server disks.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Adrian.

Hi,

There are a couple of reasons this may happen and it is normally related to the StreamType setting in the Application.xml.

If the stream type is live-record (or any other record type) then all incoming streams will be recorded. Default recording type is FLV.

If the stream type is default then any encoders that are publishing to that application will have their streams recorded. Default stream type is normally used for VOD playback.

Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_l View Post
    Hi,

There are a couple of reasons this may happen and it is normally related to the StreamType setting in the Application.xml.

If the stream type is live-record (or any other record type) then all incoming streams will be recorded. Default recording type is FLV.

If the stream type is default then any encoders that are publishing to that application will have their streams recorded. Default stream type is normally used for VOD playback.

Roger.
    Thanks, but still no joy. Here's what i have:
    I've completely re-installed wowza, then

As soon as i start rtp-record on the stream using StreamManager, the flv file appears. Not sure why, can post full Application.xml if it's any help.

Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by askehill View Post
    As soon as i start rtp-record on the stream using StreamManager, the flv file appears. Not sure why, can post full Application.xml if it's any help.
    Hi Adrian,

if you set the mediaCaster type to rtp-record in the stream manager, it will override the StreamType in the application.xml and record the incoming stream.

If you don't want to record the incoming mediaCaster stream automatically (or are using some other record process, you should start the stream using the rtp mediaCaster type.

Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_l View Post
    Hi Adrian,

if you set the mediaCaster type to rtp-record in the stream manager, it will override the StreamType in the application.xml and record the incoming stream.

If you don't want to record the incoming mediaCaster stream automatically (or are using some other record process, you should start the stream using the rtp mediaCaster type.

Roger.
    Sorted. Thanks a million for that Roger, it was the fact I had rtp-record in the StartupStreams.xml.

A.