Thread: Experiences live streaming with Wowza, JW Player 6 and Highwinds?

Default Experiences live streaming with Wowza, JW Player 6 and Highwinds?

We're in the middle of setting up live streaming using wowza, JW Player 6 and Highwinds and are wondering if anyone else out there has any experience with this. Any advice or things to watch out for? Have you had good live events or is it a ton of trouble? I'm especially curious about how HLS playing on desktops with JWPlayer 6 is working for people. Has it been pretty stable?
    Any feedback would be great.

Thanks!

I don't have experience with the Highwinds component. Maybe others on the forum will have comments

Richard

Hi there ... I have no experience with HighWinds, but I do have with other CDNs, like Limelight, Akamai, Level3 and Amazon Could Front. In general, experience is good, none is perfect.

Regarding JWPlayer, I do use it a lot to stream HLS to desktops. Performance is very good. There are still some issues non-supported, like nDVR with live streaming, in order to rewind when watching live.
    Also, there's a bug (very important if you think they should be following the draft for HLS definition). When JWPlayer plays live, instead of starting playing back at least, from N-2 in the playlist of chunks, they do it from N-1, which can cause stream to stall. I've pointed this issue to them a while ago. They have it on their bug list to fix, and promise is to have it fixed on version 6.6
    Other than that, for me it works fine.
    By the way, it works fine on Desktop, IPAD (if you use fallback in case you don't have your own server side detection) ... It does not work on Android 4.1 or higher due to Android not supporting Flash any more, and not support HTML5 either.

Thanks Richard and Tavius for your input! Good to know about Android playback.

Quote Originally Posted by tavius View Post
    Hi there ... I have no experience with HighWinds, but I do have with other CDNs, like Limelight, Akamai, Level3 and Amazon Could Front. In general, experience is good, none is perfect.

Regarding JWPlayer, I do use it a lot to stream HLS to desktops. Performance is very good. There are still some issues non-supported, like nDVR with live streaming, in order to rewind when watching live.
    Also, there's a bug (very important if you think they should be following the draft for HLS definition). When JWPlayer plays live, instead of starting playing back at least, from N-2 in the playlist of chunks, they do it from N-1, which can cause stream to stall. I've pointed this issue to them a while ago. They have it on their bug list to fix, and promise is to have it fixed on version 6.6
    Other than that, for me it works fine.
    By the way, it works fine on Desktop, IPAD (if you use fallback in case you don't have your own server side detection) ... It does not work on Android 4.1 or higher due to Android not supporting Flash any more, and not support HTML5 either.
    Can you show example code of jwplayer how you play hls on desktops?

something like this would work

<head>
    <title>HTML5 Video: HTTP Live Streaming</title>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="jwplayer.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">jwplayer.key="[your jwplayer license key]";</script>
    </head>

<body>

<div id="myElement">Loading the player ...</div>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    jwplayer("myElement").setup({
    file: "[HLS URL]",
    height: 480,
    width: 640,
    autostart: true
    });
    </script>

</body>
    </html>

We have exactly the setup you are describing. We run wowza servers, use highwinds as our CDN and play HLS files using JW Player 6 (HLS) paid version. This setup work like a charm. Highwinds was extremely helpful in the configuration of wowza. And we have not experienced any issue with JW Player.

I have noticed a lot of stalling in my live HLS streams using JW 6. Any update on this? I didn't notice anything in the 6.6 release notes:

http://www.longtailvideo.com/support...release-notes/

Nor could I find a bug ticket...

they applied the fix on version 6.6
    Now, player starts N-2 in the playlist

Default issue still exist in 6.10

they applied the fix on version 6.6
    Now, player starts N-2 in the playlist
    Hi,
    I am using akamai with jwplayer 6.10 to deliver hls on desktop. it get stall a lot. Everytime jwplayer starts playing next chunk file, it stalls.
    When playing same stream on iOS or directly in vlc, it works like charm

Anyone resolved this.