Thread: most simple - live or playback mp3 (audio only)

Default most simple - live or playback mp3 (audio only)

I need just the right glue in just the right place.

I'm encoding with Flash Media Encoder 3.2
    Serving with Wowza 3.6.2
    Playing with either FlowPlayer 6 or JWPlayer 6

My target will eventually be as many platforms as I can get, but for now I will take just one, any one.

Is there any example of an mp3 (audio only) setup? I can only find video that has an mp3 audio track, and I don't want to waste the bandwidth on a blank video track.

Thanks,
    Joe

Hi there, what is it you are trying to do exactly?

You can stream mp3 audio with Wowza in a .flv or .mp4 container.

In FMLE you can disable the video track and just stream the audio. With video disabled there will not be an empty video track.

Salvadore

Exactly: I'm trying to see an end-to-end example of an audio-only mp3 stream. I have FMLE encoding mp3, and I also have mp3 files, that I need to deliver.

The FMLE connects to the Wowza server, but something in the definition of the stream causes it to disconnect.

video is unchecked
    audio is checked
    mp3
    mono
    22050Hz
    48kbits
    rtmp://wowza1:1935/live
    myStream

Then I can connect:
    INFO session connect-pending 192.168.102.123 -
    INFO session connect 192.168.102.123 -

And then I can start the stream:
    INFO stream create - -
    INFO stream publish myStream -
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSanJose.init[live/_definst_/myStream]: chunkDurationTarget: 10000
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSanJose.init[live/_definst_/myStream]: chunkDurationTolerance: 500
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSanJose.init[live/_definst_/myStream]: playlistChunkCount:4
    INFO server comment - MediaStreamMap.getLiveStreamPacketizer: Create live stream packetizer: sanjosestreamingpacketizer:myStream
    INFO server comment - SanJosePacketHandler.startStream[live/_definst_/myStream]
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSanJose.handlePacket[live/_definst_/myStream]: Audio codec: MP3
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.init[live/_definst_/myStream]: chunkDurationTarget: 10000
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.init[live/_definst_/myStream]: chunkDurationTolerance: 500
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.init[live/_definst_/myStream]: audioGroupCount: 3
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.init[live/_definst_/myStream]: playlistChunkCount:3
    INFO server comment - MediaStreamMap.getLiveStreamPacketizer: Create live stream packetizer: cupertinostreamingpacketizer:myStream
    INFO server comment - MediaStreamMap.getLiveStreamPacketizer: Create live stream packetizer: smoothstreamingpacketizer:myStream
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSmoothStreaming.startStream[live/_definst_/myStream]
    INFO server comment - CupertinoPacketHandler.startStream[live/_definst_/myStream]
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.handlePacket[live/_definst_/myStream]: Audio codec:MP3 isCompatible:true
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.handlePacket[live/_definst_/myStream][mp4a.40.34]: MP3 Audio
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSmoothStreaming.flushPendingAudio: Bitrate[live/_definst_/myStream]: 47665
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSmoothStreaming.addFragment[live/_definst_/myStream]: Add chunk: type:audio id:0 count:76 duration:2008
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSmoothStreaming.addFragment[live/_definst_/myStream]: Add chunk: type:audio id:1 count:77 duration:2001
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSanJose.endChunkTS[live/_definst_/myStream]: Add chunk: id:1 a/v/k:384/0/0 duration:10045
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSmoothStreaming.addFragment[live/_definst_/myStream]: Add chunk: type:audio id:2 count:77 duration:2013
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.endChunkTS[live/_definst_/myStream]: Add chunk: id:1 mode:MP3 a/v/k:128/0/0 duration:10045
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSmoothStreaming.addFragment[live/_definst_/myStream]: Add chunk: type:audio id:3 count:77 duration:2011
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSmoothStreaming.addFragment[live/_definst_/myStream]: Add chunk: type:audio id:4 count:77 duration:2012
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSmoothStreaming.addFragment[live/_definst_/myStream]: Add chunk: type:audio id:5 count:77 duration:2011
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSmoothStreaming.addFragment[live/_definst_/myStream]: Add chunk: type:audio id:6 count:77 duration:2010
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSanJose.endChunkTS[live/_definst_/myStream]: Add chunk: id:2 a/v/k:384/0/0 duration:10030
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSmoothStreaming.addFragment[live/_definst_/myStream]: Add chunk: type:audio id:7 count:77 duration:2022
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.endChunkTS[live/_definst_/myStream]: Add chunk: id:2 mode:MP3 a/v/k:128/0/0 duration:10030
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSmoothStreaming.addFragment[live/_definst_/myStream]: Add chunk: type:audio id:8 count:77 duration:2001
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSmoothStreaming.addFragment[live/_definst_/myStream]: Add chunk: type:audio id:9 count:77 duration:2012
    INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerSmoothStreaming.addFragment[live/_definst_/myStream]: Add chunk: type:audio id:10 count:77 duration:2011
    and it goes on...

So it seems I am connecting and encoding. I cannot tell if this is within a flv container or not. So is this "working"? And, I'm looking at both JWPlayer and flowplayer as possiblities to play this stream, but am unsure what the source parameters (and other setup) that they need to connect to the Wowza stream.

Thanks,
    Joe

What player are you using?

Does it work with the Wowza example player [install-dir]/examples/LiveVideoStreaming/player.html

Use:
    rtmp://192.168.102.123:1935/live
    myStream
    If Wowza is running on your local machine you can use:
    rtmp://localhost:1935/live
    myStream
    Salvadore

Hi,

With live streams, the default is to configure the stream as an flv container format. For live playback, the stream container format is not so important as the same process is used for all. It is only important in vod streams where different MediaReaders are used for each container format.

You can force the container format from the encoder but prefixing the stream name. This is normally done if recording the stream to ensure it is recorded as the correct format.

Roger.

I am looking to use the JW player or flowplayer. At present, I just want a small audio-only player.

When I attach the LiveVideoStreaming example, it does connect, but because of speaker issues on our wowza server, I can't hear it. I will work tomorrow on getting that example player on our webserver and listen to it on my desktop.

Joe

Recording the stream is a future issue, but a definite need. So I can assume that the FMLE uses the flv container ... is there is a way for me to verify that?

Joe

FMLE will stream the mp3 audio out via rtmp protocol, it does not record the stream (there is a "save to file" option). With a StreamType of "live-record" Wowza will record the stream as an .flv file by default. You can override this by prefixing the stream name with mp4:

For example in FMLE:
    Stream: myStream produces an .flv file
    Stream: mp4:myStream produces an .mp4 file

Both will contain mp3 audio in your case.

Salvadore
    Last edited by salvadore; 08-22-2013 at 12:45 PM.