Thread: fallback storagedir

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default fallback storagedir

hi,

is it possible to get wowza to look in a second storage directory if a file does not exist in the first one?

media files are being synced to our front end machines, but newer files may not yet be copied so we would like to fall back to accessing a central master copy of all our media files which is shared over nfs.

thanks,

paul.

Hello Paul,

It sounds like MediaCache would be a good solution for your setup. You could add two sources (to your file repositories) and just have the cache do the work in this case.

How to get the MediaCache AddOn

hi matt,

thanks for the quick reply!

i've been playing with mediacache but didn't realise i could use it like that. does that mean i can just create 2 MediaCacheSources with the same Prefix but different BasePaths?

edit: no that doesn't appear to work, it seems to look in the first MediaCacheSource only.

what i am trying to do in apache-speak is:
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteRule ^dir/(.+)$ /dir2/$1 [L]
    thanks,

paul.
    Last edited by ppettit; 08-20-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Hi,

It is not possible to set two sources with the same prefix so you would have to use some other means to determine which prefix to use.

If you are comfortable with writing Java code then it would be relatively easy to query each source when the request comes into Wowza and return the one that works.

If not then I will add this to our list of modules that we provide as it does sound like it would be a good idea.

There is one thing to be careful of when working with MediaCache and uploading content. If a request is made from MediaCache to the web server for a piece of content that is only partially uploaded and that request is successful, the partial content will be cached. The full content will not be cached until the partial content is flushed from the cache. When uploading content, it is always a good idea to use a temporary file that is moved or renamed after the content is fully uploaded. Most FTP clients support this.

Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_l View Post
    Hi,

It is not possible to set two sources with the same prefix so you would have to use some other means to determine which prefix to use.

If you are comfortable with writing Java code then it would be relatively easy to query each source when the request comes into Wowza and return the one that works.
    thanks roger. i implemented something based on this article and it seems to work nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by roger_l View Post
    If not then I will add this to our list of modules that we provide as it does sound like it would be a good idea.
    i think that would be a great idea!

thanks for the speedy help.

paul.

PS. also thanks for the eclipse addons which made it really easy to get a build environment set up on my linux machine in minutes, and for the great documentation and samples