Thread: can RTMP use nrgp for adaptive bit rate streaming?

Default can RTMP use nrgp for adaptive bit rate streaming?

I studyed the article but could not find the example of RTMP using StreamNameGroups palyback
    not support for this usage?

There is not direct support for RTMP but there is a bridge from the ngrp MediaList to JW Player's RTMP Dynamic Streaming implementation. Take a look at the 2nd example in the JW Player 6 article. You will use ngrp instead of the smil in that example. Something like this:

<html>
    <head>
    <title>JW Player 6</title>

<script type="text/javascript" src="/jwplayer/jwplayer.js" ></script>
    <script>jwplayer.key="[jwplayer-key]"</script>
    </head>

<body>

<div id="player">Loading the player...</div>

<script type="text/javascript">

jwplayer("player").setup({
        playlist: [{
            sources: [
                { file: "http://[wowza-address]:1935/live/ngrp:myStream_all/jwplayer.smil", },
            ],
        }],
        sources: [{
                file: "http://[wowza-address]:1935/live/ngrp:myStream_all/playlist.m3u8"
            }]
    });
    </script>
    </body>
    </html>
    Richard

Hi,
    Thank your quickly reply
    I have some doubts about:
    1. Do I have to make the jwplayer.smil manually under [install-dir]/content ?
    2. how to apply on Flash player?

No, a .smil file is not involved. You will be referencing the StreamNameGroup using ngrp: prefix, as shown above.

This works with JW Player only, which is a Flash application/player.

Richard

Thank your quickly reply, how about using Adobe Flash player?

This technique only works with JW Player.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Adobe Flash Player". JW player is an Adobe Flash application/player, which means it is using the Adobe Flash browser plugin to run. It does RTMP streaming.

There are many other Flash applications/players that do RTMP streaming, including component players built into the Flash CSx and Flash Builder development tools. But this technique only works with JW Player

Richard

Thank you to clarify my mis-understanding about Adobe Flash Player/JW player.
    Maybe it's a stupid question, but if the "http://[wowza-address]:1935/live/ngrp:myStream_all/jwplayer.smil" could return the smil content, why can't I use the [install-dir]/examples/VideoOnDemandStreaming/FlashRTMPPlayer/player.html with:
    Server: rtmp://[wowza-ip-address]/live
    Stream: ngrp:myStream_all/jwplayer.smil
    to achieve that?

Server-side smil just doesn't work in RTMP player. You can use JW Player technique to bridge to the kind of ABR that works in RTMP players: RTMP Dynamic Streaming. I hope that helps clarify, I can't change this.

Richard

Richard, I fully understand and want NOT to change anything, just trying to understand more of wowza design about supporting ABR on RTMP. Some of them are not easy to observe from the articles.
    The reason I talked about the Adobe Flash Player, especially the "[install-dir]/examples/VideoOnDemandStreaming/FlashRTMPPlayer/player.html" was because of the description on the toturial
    ----------------------------
    Playback
    Adobe Flash Player (RTMP)

Wowza Media Server 3.5
    Double-click [install-dir]/examples/VideoOnDemandStreaming/FlashRTMPPlayer/player.html, enter the information below, and then click the Connect button.
    Server: rtmp://[wowza-ip-address]/live
    Stream: smil:myStream.smil
    -----------------------------
    It seems to support server side smil file in example Adobe Flash Player, isn't it?
    That's why I try to understand if wowza provides some way to convert ngrp to smil (like "http://[wowza-address]:1935/live/ngrp:myStream_all/jwplayer.smil")so that I can fill into the above format to play it.
    I hope that helps to clarify my motivation of this post. I really appreciate your help to clarify my doubts or misunderstanding.

Thanks
    Last edited by andy_c; 08-22-2013 at 06:43 PM.

I'll fix that, it's not accurate. Thanks for pointing it out.

Read the articles below that to understand RTMP Dynamic Streaming, which Wowza supports and JW Player implements in its player so you don't have to do all that. That's what works in RTMP.

Richard