Thread: New User Wowza questions

Default New User Wowza questions

Hi all,

I am new to Wowza and even streaming servers in general. I have been playing around with Wowza and reading the documentation for a day or two now and have ran into a couple questions I can seem to figure out. So far I have been able to install the server, setup the ports, and stream some video and audio files.

One thing I can't seem to get my head rapped around is when I put a URL in a video player to stream a video I put RTMP://[Server-IP]/vod/mp4.filename.mp4

Where is that vod folder located.. there are a few vod folders in a few different placed withing the wowza install directory. Is this pointing to the [Install-Directory]/Conf/vod.. I am assuming it is pointing here to be able to access the application file stored there?

I am also working on some audio files. I have been able to get audio files to play, but I still have to use the vod folder to do so. I tried to make a conf/audio folder and put an application file in there to try to make the URL RTMP://[Server-IP]/audio/mp3.filename.mp3, but I get errors and it doesn't seem to work. Does everything have to go through the vod folder?

Also, one of my concerns so far is organization.. So far I have had to put all my audio / video files int he content folder in the install directory. I would like to separate them into their own project sub-folders in the content folder, but in all attempts to do so, I cant get anything to run. Is there something special I need to do to accomplish this?

Lastly, up until this point we have used a 2003 windows media service server for our audio streaming. Going through the process to upload them on the server and creating a publishing point we would get a htm file and inside a MMS://[server-name]/file-name link. Is the rtmp:// links I am getting from Wowza its equivalent of the windows media service MMS link?

Thanks,
    Jeryn

Hi,
    The Application.xml is configured by default to point at the [Wowza-Install]/content directory which is where you'll find the sample.mp4 file for testing video on demand streaming.
    A tutorial on video on demand applications can be found here,
    How to set up video on demand streaming

When creating an application in Wowza you need to create a new directory in the [Wowza-Install]/applications and [Wowza-Install]/conf directories.
    The new Application.xml file will be stored in the [Wowza-Install]/conf directory.

You can change the directory where you store your content be editing the Application.xml however when using a sub directory I think you need to include "_definst_" in the playback URL as shown in the tutorial above.
    The part of the Application you need to edit is below and is in the <Streams> container,

<StorageDir>${com.wowza.wms.context.VHostConfigHome}/content</StorageDir>

Regards,
    Jason

Thanks, this helps a lot.. I will start looking into doing this now..

One other issue came up when I was doing some other tests files.. Yesterday I was able to get .mp4 files to playback without any problem, however today the new files I can only get the audio to work when I enter the information on the http://osmf.org/configurator/fmp/# webpage.

I am putting in:

rtmp://[server-name]/vod/mp4:filename.mp4

I get audio, but no video.. If all I change is the file name to a different file, audio and video works.. I have verified that I can open up the file on the server and it plays both audio and video on the windows media player.

Hi,
    I think the video may not be supported which is why only the audio is playing.
    If you open the file in VLC and use "tools > Codec information" you will find out what the video codec is.

It sounds specific to the file you're using.
    The protocol OSMF player uses is HTTP.

Jason

ah, that might be it then.. The codec this particular video uses is MPEG-4 Video (mpv4)