Wowza Community

video plays abnormally fast for a short time while streaming from FMS (issue appears

I am streaming (live, no recording) video using Flash Media Server 4.5. I created to 2 applications -

1. Publisher: Publishes (streams) video using FMS.

2. Receiver: Plays the published stream.

Everything works good as expected because its very simple application on WEB or in (Desktop) browser.

But when I port Receiver app to iPad, video, it plays fine but in between it plays fast (like you are fast forwading in VCR or DVD player) for few mili seconds and then back to normal.

Note: I tried using Wowza server in place of FMS but no luck.

To resolve this issue I played with some settings like - lowering the camera fps to 10, quality to 50, favoring to false. It results lil bit improvement but my client cannot compromise on low quality video, that too on iPad.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Are you able to stream directly to Wowza and play the stream without issue?,

Please find a live streaming tutorial below which should answer any Wowza configuration questions you may have,

How to set up live streaming using an RTMP based encoder

The stream should be H.264 with MP3/AAC, around 25 FPS, have a keyframe ever 1-4 seconds and Profile Baseline 3.0 for majority compatibility for streaming clients.

I think this may be a source stream issue and recommend adding a sort buffer to the Streams/Properties container in the Application.xml file.

sortPackets

true

Boolean

sortBufferSize

Integer

Please keep me informed with your progress.

Thanks

Jason

Take a look at steps 1a, b and c in this Flash h.264 guide.

Richard

What are you using to create a NetStream on iOS device? Streaming to iOS is done with HLS (cupertino) streams, generally. I have heard of rtmp libararies for iOS, but am not sure how well they work.

Are you playing back a transcoded rendition? (The source is not transcoded.)

Richard

Hi,

If the playback issue is not effecting cupertino streaming (Apple HLS) why would you need to use the RTMP app?

Hi,

Please find a live streaming tutorial below which should answer any Wowza configuration questions you may have

I asked earlier in the thread if the stream was effected when you publish to Wowza and play the stream back, I was meaning with the traditional method with an Apple iOS device.

Please find the playback URL examples here,

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-set-up-live-streaming-using-an-rtmp-based-encoder#playback

If the above method is working without issue I can only assume that the issue lies with the App which you’re using which is not supported by Wowza.

Jason

Thanks for the reply, Jason.

Issue is replicated in case Wowza as well.

I will give a try changing config you mentioned and revert.

Thanks again!

Hi,

Please find a live streaming tutorial below which should answer any Wowza configuration questions you may have,

How to set up live streaming using an RTMP based encoder

The stream should be H.264 with MP3/AAC, around 25 FPS, have a keyframe ever 1-4 seconds and Profile Baseline 3.0 for majority compatibility for streaming clients.

I think this may be a source stream issue and recommend adding a sort buffer to the Streams/Properties container in the Application.xml file.

sortPackets

true

Boolean

sortBufferSize

Integer

Please keep me informed with your progress.

Thanks

Jason

I tried configuring source stream with settings you suggested.

For some reason, Stream is not playing when I set videoStreamSettings to H.264

h264Settings = new H264VideoStreamSettings();

h264Settings.setProfileLevel( H264Profile.BASELINE, H264Level.LEVEL_3);

ns.videoStreamSettings = h264Settings;

ns.publish(“liveStream”);

Stream plays fine when no setting (h264) is applied.

NetStream info displays the following when I try to play stream using H264 in iPad:

NetStream.Play.Reset

NetStream.Play.Start

NetStream.Play.Failed

NetStream.Play.Stop

NetStream.Buffer.Flush

Any ideas?:confused:

Much appreciated

Thanks for the reply, Jason.

Issue is replicated in case Wowza as well.

I will give a try changing config you mentioned and revert.

Thanks again!

Richard,

I looked into Flash H264 guide and still no luck.

I am sure that my Publisher app is publishing H264 Baseline 3 and transcoder is transcoding SPEEX to AAC. But it has not affect on Receiver app on iPad.

NetStream says (on iPad):

NetStream.Play.Reset

NetStream.Play.Start

NetStream.Play.Failed

NetStream.Play.Stop

NetStream.Buffer.Flush

Any ideas?

What are you using to create a NetStream on iOS device? Streaming to iOS is done with HLS (cupertino) streams, generally. I have heard of rtmp libararies for iOS, but am not sure how well they work.

Are you playing back a transcoded rendition? (The source is not transcoded.)

Richard

Receiver is a simple Flex application on iPad that gets stream to play over RTMP in very traditional way. Its not a native app, so no HLS or any RTMP libs are required I think.

Receiver is a simple Flex application on iPad that gets stream to play over RTMP in very traditional way. Its not a native app, so no HLS or any RTMP libs are required I think.

We are working on a product and can seriously considering switch to Wowza from FMS if we get signs to resolve this issue.

POC, I am working upon is very basic and I can send you code if you want to peep in it.

Please let me know.

Thanks