Thread: Need help with ABR and mobile devices

Default Need help with ABR and mobile devices

We are setting up Wowza with the transcoder and I have run into some issues.

I used the follwoing guide for setup and followed the troubleshooting at the bottom of the page (http://www.wowza.com/forums/content.php?304) and as far as I can tell I have everything correct and the logs check out like the guide says they should.

I have called my application xcode and I can join the stream using Wowza Flash RTMP Player using rtmp://localhost/xcode/test and I can also join the stream remotely. I am not sure how to test if the ABR is working, it appears to OK in the logs.

On the iPhone, if I go to xxxx.xxx:1935/xcode/ngrp:test_all/playlist.m3u8 it loads the player and I get roughly a 1/2 second of live video and then it just stops.

1) Using my PC, how can I join specific ABR streams to see if they are working?
    2) What might have I of done wrong that the iPhone doesn't like.

Thanks

I think the iPhone issue may be something in the encoding options we are using with Adobe Live Media Encoder because when I turn the resolution and bit rate down and play with the settings I can get it to work. I sort of thought that the Wowza Transcoder would smooth any of that out though.

I still need to know of a way to actually confirm that Adaptive Bit Rate is working as expected. I don't know how to join the individual transcoded streams- in addition I'd like a recommendation on a player that can show me the current bit rate and let me watch as the bit rates change so that I know that the transitions are working properly.

Thanks

For IOS the encoding should use a profile of baseline and AAC audio.

You can check the different renditions, for example:
    [wowza-ip]:1935/[app-name]/[stream-name]_160p
    Salvadore

OK, excellent, I was able to confirm my individual bit rates are working and I can join them successfully.

Is there a player that can show me the current bit rate of the stream and that will actually show the adaptive bit rate working? I'm thinking of something like Microsoft Smootstreaming demo that lets you see the bit rate as it changes and I think you can even control the bitrate from the demo to see the effect of the change.

So to put the ABR streams into production, I would just embed the url of rtsp://xxx.xxx/xcode/ngrp:streamname_all for PC's or rtsp://xxx.xxx/xcode/ngrp:streamname_mobile for mobile devices, is that a correct assumption? And then based on if it was Android, iPhone, etc I would need to add /playlist.m3u8 , etc? Am I on the right train of thought here?

Thanks

RTSP does not support ABR.

The Silverlight example player will show you the current bit rate of the file. I am not sure how to force the switch to happen.

Salvadore