Thread: HLS issues after running Wowza for a while

Default HLS issues after running Wowza for a while

Hi folks,

Having some issues which I hope maybe someone can help.

Here's my setup: an HP DL360p G8 server with a single hex-core Xeon and 8GB RAM, 4 SSDs in RAID, running CentOS 6.4 and Wowza 3.6.2. This handles about 70 incoming streams, and so far we've not had enough concurrent viewers to make it break a sweat.

But, there's an annoying issue with HLS. It seems that after 6 hours or so, it takes longer and longer for streaming to start (on JW6 and VLC on PC). And on Android, normally most 4.x+ devices can play HLS quite well, then all of a sudden, none are able to start new streams, whether it's MX Player, VLC, or our own all utilizing standard VideoView. If I stop and restart Wowza, all these issues go away, for a while anyway.

So I am at quite a loss, I've returned the application.xml to default, I disabled WMSAuth on the server, but it does not help. In the past I used Wowza on the same hardware, but running Windows Server 2008, and did not experience these problems. Should I go back to that OS? Also, I'm currently downloading the patch, maybe it will help. But I would appreciate any other ideas!

Do you have statistics of users/streaming simultaneous when the system starts "failing" .... HLS takes more memory than RTMP, for instance. So, check your memory usage during that time

It's not even under high load situations, maybe 20-30 viewers... And even at our peak usage, memory utilization stays pretty low...

Anyway about 24 hours now with the patch and everything *seems* fine and dandy now...