Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start And Stop Transcoding

Default Start And Stop Transcoding

I'm trying to figure out how to programatically start and stop the transcoding process when necessary. I haven't seen anything that explains this, which I would think be a simple process.

What I really only want to achieve is to have the transcoding running only when someone is viewing the stream - it doesn't make sense to transcode it while no one is viewing it. What is the best way to achieve this?

1) Request a stream by a certain name that when called starts transcoding?
    2) Looks for some event that is triggered every time the stream starts playing and start it then? Stop the transcoding when I get a stop playing event?

Is there something like: transcoding.start() and transcoding.stop() ?

The logic seems like it should be simple, but can't figure it out in the context of what is available.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ImAStreamer; 09-09-2013 at 08:35 AM.

It will take some coding work, but you should be able to do this. You can use this API as a starting place:
    How to control which streams get transcoded using server-side API

Salvadore
    Last edited by salvadore; 09-09-2013 at 09:13 AM.

I dug a little deeper, and the best way to start and stop transcoding is starting and stopping the live stream.

There is no way to do this depending on whether a viewer is watching the stream.

How to start and stop live stream recordings programmatically (IMediaStreamActionNotify3)

Salvadore
    Last edited by rrlanham; 02-06-2014 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by salvadore View Post
    I dug a little deeper, and the best way to start and stop transcoding is starting and stopping the live stream.

There is no way to do this depending on wether a viewer is watching the stream.

How to start and stop live stream recordings programmatically (IMediaStreamActionNotify3)
    Salvadore
    If I want to keep the source stream going (for other reasons), would there be a way to start another stream just for certain other viewers who would view the transcoded stream?

So is there definitively no way to stop and restart the transcoding?
    Last edited by ImAStreamer; 09-10-2013 at 10:08 AM.

There isn't a way at this time. I don't know of any plans to change this.

Richard

Is there any update on this subject?
    I have a similar need to the creator of this thread. I want to take timed snapshots of a stream that is not usually transcoded, so I would like to start a Transcode process programmatically, grab a frame and save it, then stop the Transcoding. Can this be implemented?

Thank you.

Hello there. There has been no update that I am aware of for this.

But as an alternative, please see this module:
    How to take a single-frame snapshot of a live stream for thumbnail creation (ModuleCreateSnapshot)

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Hello salvadore, thanks for the fast reply. I have seen this article, and before trying it, can you tell me if this approach will work:
    Creating a new stream, as showed here: How to do basic server-side publishing with Stream class streams,
    and then setting this stream to be transcoded, as I have a LiveStreamTranscoderControl in place, grabing a frame from the trancoded stream, and then finalizing the created stream.

I understand this may use a bit more CPU, but I am trying to stay away from messing with FFMPEG again, as I had to use it when our server was the Adobe Media Server, and it had no way of doing it "natively".

Thank you.

It sounds like you are trying to create a snapshot from a static file?

The workflow you outlined would work for that process.

Kind regards,

Salvadore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast