Thread: Some times I just hear sound

Exclamation Some times I just hear sound

Hi everyone!

I have a little problem with rtp streaming. I can access wowza server from external IP (RTP protocol) but sometimes I just get sound. For example if I request:

[rtsp://mydomain.com:554/my_wowza_application/_definst_/myvids/video.mp4]

Sometimes I get video+sound and sometimes i only get sound (same video requested several times).

Could the problem be any router setting? I have opened all ports that wowza needs, at least the ports indicated in another post in this forum.

Thanks in advance!!

Hi,
    Are you seeing any indication to what the problem may be in the Wowza logs?,
    When streaming a file you should always add the prefix to the file name in this case "mp4:" after the /_definst_/ and if you've added port 554 in Wowza you don't need to specify it as it's the default for RTP/RTSP protocol.
    rtsp://mydomain.com/my_wowza_application/_definst_/mp4:myvids/video.mp4
    If you find anything in the log files as to what the problem may be, feel free to post it here in this thread so we can help if the need further assistance.

Regards,
    Jason

Hi Jason!

Thanks for you answer! I haven't looked into the Wowza logs actually but I will. If I see something odd I will post it here
    I will also try your suggestions (prefix and port)

Regards!

Hi,
    Okay, thanks for the update.

Jason

Hi Jason!

I have looked into the wowza logs and I haven't seen anything odd. Just info messages, no errors. I have also changed the URL like you told me (prefix and port) and I still get the same behaviour with Android: sometimes I get video and sound and others I get sound only.

I have seen that if the client that is requesting the video (rtps URL) is VLC, it makes 2 requests to the server but if the client is Android, it makes just 1. That's what I have observed with a Module I coded for wowza server extension. In that module, I trace every RTP session/stream created and the onCreate method is called twice when client is VLC and just one if client is Android. VLC always get video and sound and Android does sometimes.

So I guess the problem is pointing to Android client, right?

By the way, the video codec is H264 and the audio codec is AAC.

Thanks in advance! Regards!

Hi,
    Have you ever just got audio and not got any video?, I think the Android device makes a connection over TCP and VLC will primarily make the connection over UDP which is why VLC is always successful.
    When the Android device makes a connection it should be requesting audio and video separately, I think one may be getting blocked between the client and Wowza.

From what you have explained above, I think this is a network problem between the client and Wowza.

Without the logs it's almost impossible to confirm this, please post them here if they are not to large or open a ticket with by sending an email to support@wowza.com.
    Please include a link to this thread for reference and a zipped copy of the [Wowza-Install]/conf and [Wowza-Install]/logs for analysis.
    If you have multiple applications configured please specify which one is being used in this case.

Many thanks
    Jason

Hi Jason!

Answering your question: yes. Yesterday, I did a test and I could confirm something: Using my phone (Android 2.3.6) I get video and audio ALWAYS while using WIFI but not with 3G. If I use 3G, I only get audio.

Looking at this fact, I have done another test right now: I have modified the Android app in my phone to request the video you have in your wowza test page:
    [rtsp://184.72.239.149/vod/mp4:BigBuckBunny_115k.mov]

This time I have used 3G only and it works fine (video and audio). So, the problem seems to be something with my network.

I will send the config and log files to your support mail address.

Many thanks man! Regards!

Hi,
    Thank you for the updating this thread with the information above.
    I'm glad I could be of assistance and glad I was able to narrow down this issue to a network related problem.

Regards
    Jason