Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seek too slow with low bandwidth

Default Seek too slow with low bandwidth

Hi,

I'd like some help in this case...I've got JW Player 6 that I've modified and implemented the Dual Buffer feature. So the first buffer is 3 seconds long and the bigger is 60 seconds. The issue happens when I limit the bandwidth and try to seek the video. It takes a very long time between the "click to seek" and the event "NetStream.Seek.Notify"...

I've read a thread here in Wowza's forums related to this problem (slowness on seek) and someone told that this long time is due to the wowza buffer...when the player send the seek request to wowza, it puts this request in the queue end and waits for the buffer get empty to respond the seek request..

How can I resolve it?

If someone could help me with this, It'd be nice!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Luga91; 09-17-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Are you using something like NetLimiter to limit bandwidth? Is it a problem without the dual buffer enabled?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    Are you using something like NetLimiter to limit bandwidth? Is it a problem without the dual buffer enabled?

Richard
    Yes, I'm using NetLimiter.

When I disable dual buffer the seek works properly but if I set the player (single) buffer to 60 seconds, for instance, it takes a lot to dispatch seek.notify also as when using dual buffer...The video stays like in an idle state, it doesn't buffers, it doesn't play, it only waits for the seek.notify event to start buffering..

What version of Wowza are you using?

How are you implementing dual buffering? Is this configurable in JW Player 6 now (I'm not finding it in my searches), or are you modifying actionscript?

The relevant Property setting is Application.xml /MaximumSetBufferTime which is 60 seconds (60000ms) by default. I'm not sure if increasing that would help.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    What version of Wowza are you using?

How are you implementing dual buffering? Is this configurable in JW Player 6 now (I'm not finding it in my searches), or are you modifying actionscript?

The relevant Property setting is Application.xml /MaximumSetBufferTime which is 60 seconds (60000ms) by default. I'm not sure if increasing that would help.

Richard
    I'm using Wowza 3.5.2.

You're right, in the JW 6 there isn't dual buffer, I've implemented myself. It basically works based on events dispatched in the player. For instance, when the player starts a "NetStream.Publish.Start" event is dispatched and the dual buffer set the initial buffer to 3 and when this buffer is full and the "Buffer.full" event is dispatched, the dual buffer object set the buffer to 60 and so on. When a user seek, the "Seek.Notify" event makes the dual buffer set the buffer again to 3, to start buffering and play faster then if there was only one larger buffer..

And I think increase the "Application.xml / MaximumSetBufferTime " wouldn't help in this case, right? Because in this case, I think the problem is the buffer size..

Hi,
    Does replacing your custom code (buffer) with the use of the Wowza Application.xml/MaximumSetBufferTime cause the same issue?
    I believe this issue is caused by the custom code you have written, as we are not in a position to support or troubleshoot your custom code I don't think we are able to help you further.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
    Hi,
    Does replacing your custom code (buffer) with the use of the Wowza Application.xml/MaximumSetBufferTime cause the same issue?
    I believe this issue is caused by the custom code you have written, as we are not in a position to support or troubleshoot your custom code I don't think we are able to help you further.

Jason
    I'm sorry but I couldn't get what you said, Jason.

But if I use the original player (without dual buffer) with a bigger buffer (like 60 sec) I've got the same problem...that's why I think it could be something related to Wowza.

Hi,

When Wowza responds to a seek, it is committed to sending x seconds of video in one go to fill the buffer. It cannot change this once it has started sending it.

The Seek.Notify event is possibly too late to reduce the size of the buffer because Wowza has already responded to the seek and started sending 60 seconds worth of video.

You need to reduce the buffer size before the seek starts (use the mouse down event on the scrub bar). this will inform Wowza of the new buffer size and it will only send 3 seconds of video initially.

Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_l View Post
    Hi,

When Wowza responds to a seek, it is committed to sending x seconds of video in one go to fill the buffer. It cannot change this once it has started sending it.

The Seek.Notify event is possibly too late to reduce the size of the buffer because Wowza has already responded to the seek and started sending 60 seconds worth of video.

You need to reduce the buffer size before the seek starts (use the mouse down event on the scrub bar). this will inform Wowza of the new buffer size and it will only send 3 seconds of video initially.

Roger.
    It didn't work

Actually the seek (even when bandwidth is good) is using too much bandwidth, if it can help.
    Last edited by Luga91; 09-19-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Well, I've develop a very simple video player with Flex, just to test these things out of JW Player environment but the same things are happening..(that's why I think this problem could be Wowza related)

All cases with same rtmp stream and same bandwidth limitation (200kbps)

Case 1:
    - Single Buffer (3 s) - The seek seems to be normal, not too much time to receive "Seek.Notify".

Case 2:
    - Single Buffer (60 s) - The seek sometimes takes a lot of time and bandwidth to receive "Seek.Notify" and gets a "NetStream.Play.Start" to start buffering the video.

Case 3:
    - Dual Buffer (3 s / 60 s) - Same as Case 2. The implementation is based on events (Buffer.Full, Buffer.Empty, Seek.Notify..). I did what Roger told me - set the bufferTime before the seek() - but it didn't take any results.

Please, I really need to fix this, so it'd be great if you could keep helping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast