Thread: Video Recording Auto Behaviour

Default Video Recording Auto Behaviour

I am working in Wowza origin-edge module. I am transrating the video in three bitrates at edge server. I am also recording the three videos at edge server.

Sometime the videos recording stops at edge (stream issue). But sometime I see for a stream (say stream1).. stream1_240p , stream2_360p recording freezes... whereas.. recording stream1_720p continues. How could that be possible? Recording of transrated video of same stream, some stops.. some continues.

This is really strange.. What could be issue.. any idea on this?

Can you share the specs of the edge server where the streams are being trans-rated and recorded?

It is possible the server can not keep up.

Hi Salvadore,

I am using M1 Large EC2 Instance. I am transrating 3- 1mbps H.264 stream to 1mbps(bypass), 720kbps and 360kbps.

Last edited by dhamibirendra; 09-25-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: detials added

Yeah, M1.Large is the bare minimum you can use for this and it looks like it is not cutting it for your situation.

You may need to move to a larger EC2 instance type.

Take a look at the EC2 instance types/. Ideally, for heavy recording and transcoding, you probably want the hi1.4xlarge or hs1.8xlarge

HI1 Instances can deliver more than 120,000 4 KB random read IOPS and between 10,000 and 85,000 4 KB random write IOPS (depending on active logical block addressing span) to applications. The maximum sequential throughput on is approximately 2 GB/s read and 1.1 GB/s write.
    3 HS1 Instances can deliver 2.4 GB/s of 2 MB sequential read performance and 2.6 GB/s of sequential write performance.