Thread: m3u8 distribution on origin

Default m3u8 distribution on origin

Dear all,
    I am using wowza as HLS origin, the chunks are cached externally and virtually no *.ts requests arrive to Wowza.
    The playlist (m3u8) are not cached, our benchmarks indicate that in our conditions Wowza is able to handle 4 Kreq/s of m3u8.
    though we have double origin, we need to increase the capacity at least 10 kreq/s per server.
    Is possible, that wowza write the *.m3u8 to disk, in order to use a HTTP server in the distribution of m3u8?
    Kind regards

Hi, Wowza does not support writing chunks to disk at present. You might it with some custom code in a Wowza module, or externally by pulling a playlist over http and saving each chunk.

Richard

Adding my grain of salt ... Long time ago, when HLS was just starting, we did this with an external application, which simulated a player. This app was always streaming from Wowza (one connection to Wowza only) and each chunk and m3u8 was written to a NAS, from where HTTP server was serving both .m3u8 and .TS
    It had other features as well, but the concept worked very well.
    The downsize of doing that is you have another point of failure in the chain. As this was an application not integrated, it could fail, breaking the whole streaming ecosystem

The other way (which I'm sure you have weigthed in, but worth to mention) is to use CDN

Dear all, many thanks for your answers.
    this feature, which is present in AMS, it would be very convenience in Wowza, beyond any business requirement.
    Regards.

I forwarded your request. Thanks,

Richard