Thread: CPU load increase in 3.6.2-p12 vs p10?

Default CPU load increase in 3.6.2-p12 vs p10?

Wondering if anyone else has noticed a CPU load increase after updating to Patch 12. On one of my WMS systems (the only one i've upgraded to p12 so far) as soon as I start sending some local streams using ffmpeg the load jumps dramatically. This didn't happen prior to the upgrade. However, what stinks is I also updated Java at the same time. So not sure if it was Wowza or Java's change.

I'm just doing a simple playback of a wirecast recording using ffmpeg (and just doing a 'copy' not a transcode with it) to ship in the recorded webcast into Wowza as a pseudo-live event. With noone watching the stream and nothing going on, Java CPU load is near zero. As soon as I start sending the data in via ffmpeg on the local system WMS cpu load skyrockets. Even with noone watching the stream, just ingest.

Any ideas? I think I'm going to see if I can switch the java version back to the prior rev to see if that's got anything to do with it.

thanks,
    --Chris

Chris,

I'm not sure what is going, but there is a better way to create a live stream from a file: use a Stream class stream. Take a look at this scheduler for an easy to use example.

Richard

Hi Richard,

I'll check it out. Just that this had been fine previously. Only a small load increase in Java/WMS when I ran it. Now all of a sudden it's hugely dramatic.

I just tried reverting back to the previous Java version I was using (1.7.0_10-x64) and same issue.

--Chris

Chris,

Switch out the stream to something else to compare, for testing, FMLE or Wirecast.

Also, we recommend mpeg-ts streams with FFMpeg.

Richard

Running streams from FMLE or Wirecast are fine. Little to no noticable load on the server.

I tried reverting back to patch 10 then 4 and still same issue. So I'm not sure what I did. Sending a 5mbps stream in from Wirecast produced nearly no load. But doing a simple copy using ffmpeg, freaked out Java/Wowza.
    (ffmpeg command was : ffmpeg -re -i filename.f4v -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f flv rtmp://127.0.0.1/appname/streamname that was it.. nothing special. weird.

--Chris

Chris,

The .f4v file may be a fragmented mp4 file, like what Expression Encoder produces following the Silverlight encoding path. Wowza supports these files but they do sometimes cause a CPU spike at the beginning of vod playback. Sending as a live stream may have more impact, just based on your report, if it is fragmented. Try using the Wowza sample.mp4 and see if it is different.

Richard

That's it... these files that Wirecast generates are annoying crap. Doing the same thing with any other mp4 or f4v file (that say I encoded with Adobe Media Encoder) works fine. Files from Wirecast recordings spike it for the duration of playback. I'll have to recode these or something as Wirecast can't even playback it's own recordings.

Tho I suppose if I actually transcode on the fly using ffmpeg that'll solve the issue. But then I'll be wasting CPU cycles there instead.

Thanks,
    --Chris

Great, sorted. Thanks for the update, Chris

Richard