Thread: Synchronized Youtube Watching

Default Synchronized Youtube Watching

Hey Guys,

We were able to create a great video chat room application using Wowza! Now, the client wants to add a feature where users in a room can watch a youtube video synchronously. I have set up a solution where the room owner loads a youtube video into the app and then a message is sent to everyone else with the youtube id which then loads that video into their respective clients. When to owner presses play, pause or seek, a message is sent to the media server with that action which is then relayed to everyone else so that their video also applies that action.

It works ok, I guess, but am I taking the right approach? Is there a better of architecting synchronized youtube viewing using wowza?

Its been a few days guys... Any ideas/thoughts?

It is a good approach. It would be how I would do it. I'm not sure how accurate the sync is going to be after many stops and starts. If there was an api in youtube (perhaps a javascript api) that would help you query and set stream position (then use AS3 ExternalInterface api to forward to your Flash app), that would make it work accurately. Nothing obvious comes up in a quick search.

Richard