Wowza Community

S3 + Wowza EC2 + HLS created on the fly

Hi All,

I’m trying to get HLS Streaming working properly:

I’ve got an S3 Bucket which contains 100K of mp3s, mp4s: (audio only!) of varying bitrates, encoding etc… which my Wowza EC2 instance reads (i.e vods3);

Cloudfront is providing RTMP already from the S3 bucket, but I want to dynamically create HLS from the mp3/mp4s in the S3 bucket via Wowza

When I connect JW player to the following url:

http://ec2-xx-xxx-xxx-xxx.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:1935/vods3/definst/mp4:amazons3/mybucket/folder1/folder2/file.mp4/playlist.m3u8

or if mp3:

http://ec2-xx-xxx-xxx-xxx.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:1935/vods3/definst/mp3:amazons3/mybucket/folder1/folder2/file.mp3/playlist.m3u8

MP3s work relatively well, except a 10 second latency at the beginning.

MP4s/M4as etc have a different problem, each segment has a 10 second delay (and a small gap inbetween).

Its worth noting I’ve forced Wowza to serve .ts for audio, as it was trying to do .aac which JWPlayer doesn’t like.

Please see below:

MP3:

MP4:

Is this just general latency, or overhead from conversion?

Can I improve this in anyway?

Ta

Hi,

The 10 seconds delay seems consistent with the 10 seconds Apple HLS default duration.

You can control the video on demand (VOD) chunk size by adding the following property to the HTTPStreamer/Properties container:

<Property>
	<Name>cupertinoChunkDurationTarget</Name>
	<Value>10000</Value>
	<Type>Integer</Type>
</Property>

Let me know if that improves things.

Can you provide us with a sample MP3 file download link so I can test out in my setup?

Zoran

Hi,

The 10 seconds delay seems consistent with the 10 seconds Apple HLS default duration.

You can control the video on demand (VOD) chunk size by adding the following property to the HTTPStreamer/Properties container:

<Property>
	<Name>cupertinoChunkDurationTarget</Name>
	<Value>10000</Value>
	<Type>Integer</Type>
</Property>

Let me know if that improves things.

Can you provide us with a sample MP3 file download link so I can test out in my setup?

Zoran

Thanks, but this was posted in October 2013. in the intervening 5 months we’ve written an entire new system.