Wowza Community

Origin/Edge Adaptive Bitrates

Hello Guys,

I’m currently in the process of setting up a number of edge and origin wowza servers, I’ve had success with getting adaptive bit-rates, with a single set-up via a named groups (ngrp). This however does not work between origin and edge servers, the only guide I’ve found so far that can covers this topic is https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-lock-multi-bitrate-streams-on-live-stream-repeater-edge

The only issue with this is that you have to hard code the names of the streams, for this application where many of the stream names are dynamic will not be suitable. Does wowza offer a way to automate this?

Best Regards, Luke.

Hi,

The ngrp functionality doesn’t work though origin/edge, it only works on the server doing the transcoding.

You will need to setup a .smil file on the edge server which references the streams available on the edge Example myStream_360p and myStream_160p.

<smil>
	<head>
	</head>
	<body>
		<switch>
			<video src="myStream_360p" system-bitrate="850000"/>
			<video src="myStream_160p" system-bitrate="200000"/>
		</switch>
	</body>
</smil>

Jason

Hi,

Wowza doesn’t have a way of automatically creating a .smil file for the transcoded streams and if you wanted to use this method you would have to write some custom code to do it.

Please find a guide for this here,

How to use Java API calls to resolve SMIL file requests

If you require a consultant to help you, you can either request the independent consultants list from support@wowza.com

Alternatively you can post in our Find a consultant forum

Jason

Hi,

The ngrp functionality doesn’t work though origin/edge, it only works on the server doing the transcoding.

You will need to setup a .smil file on the edge server which references the streams available on the edge Example myStream_360p and myStream_160p.

I mentioned in post that I am aware that ngrp does not work on the edge servers. The issue with that is that the stream names are hard-coded which can be an issues in a dynamic environment, I was looking to find away to automate the smil process.

With that method you posted would I still need to have a .stream file in the content dir as I have tried that in the past but manifest file does not include the media urls.

Luke.