Wowza Community

AC3 in Wowza not available at all?

Hello

I read that Wowza was able to support AC3 as passthru audio. We have been trying to figure out how to get a live streaming to HLS devices and as far as everything goes, Wowza seemed like the solution for it, but we have AC3 audio and so far we haven’t been able to get it to work in Wowza. We tried both with the transcoder(with passthru option) and without.

We are getting the livestreaming through a multicast so we setup a mpegts.stream file.

In iOS devices whenever we have the audio channel without any audio, the video won’t play either. In Android we are able to see the video fine but no audio.

I changed the PID of the expected audio channel to an incorrect one and was able to see the video on iOS.

I used VLC to verify that the original multicast stream was fine, and successfully got audio and video.

¿Any recomendations?

Give this a try, add this Property to Application.xml /RTP Properties container set to true:

<Property>
	<Name>mpegtsImportAC3</Name>
	<Value>true</Value>
	<Type>Boolean</Type>
</Property>

I believe this will work, but only for HLS clients.

Salvadore

I’m not sure about this, I don’t have a AC3 source to test. I will have to get clarification and get back to you. It is my understanding that AC3 audio is passed through to HLS clients without any configuration. But if that Property is useful (I will have to check on this also or rely and/or rely on your test) it is possible that the guide could be wrong about placing the mpegtsImportAC3 Property in the RTP Properties container. Try placing it in the Application.xml /MediaCaster Properties container.

Richard

What do you see in the access log when you start this stream? If not already, can you enable “cupertinostreamingpacketizer” in the Application.xml /Streams /LiveStreamPacketizers list, then restart Wowza and that stream. Then take a look at the cupertino packetizing log messages after the stream starts. These show details of the audio and video encoding. What do you see for the audio?

We made a need to open a ticket and get a sample recording. But for now, just show what Wowza is seeing for audio.

Richard

It looks like it is working. The Transcoder problem is just because the AC3 audio is not supported in the StreamNameGroup, so ABR with AC3 audio is not going to work.

But looking at the 2nd log snip, it seems to be working from Wowza perspective

Add chunk: id:1 mode:TS[H264,AC3] a/v/k:41/144/6 duration:3946

Richard

This property is supported as of Wowza version 3.5.

what version are you running?

Salvadore

Thank you salvadore

Forgot to mention, I added that to my application.xml specifically in RTP Properties, still no luck.

Give this a try, add this Property to Application.xml /RTP Properties container set to true:

<Property>
	<Name>mpegtsImportAC3</Name>
	<Value>true</Value>
	<Type>Boolean</Type>
</Property>

I believe this will work, but only for HLS clients.

Salvadore

3.6.2 build5334

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I just tried that, but received the same result. Also tried setting the property in the application.xml general properties and got the same negative result.

Happy to test out any solutions with my scenario.

Thanks again.

Hello

Cupertinostreamingpacketizer is enabled, I got this from the error logs in the log directory. Note passthru is set on the transrate.xml file for all the formats.

#Version: 1.0
#Start-Date: 2013-10-21 05:07:58 CDT
#Software: Wowza Media Server 3.6.2 build5334#Date: 2013-10-21#Fields: x-severity     x-category      x-event date    time    c-client-id     c-ip    c-port  cs-bytes        sc-bytes        x-duration      x-sname x-stream-id     x-spos  sc-stream-bytes cs-stream-bytes x
-file-size     x-file-length   x-ctx   x-comment
WARN    server  comment 2013-10-21      05:08:18        -       -       -       -       -       19.916  -       -       -       -       -       -       -       -       TranscodingSession.handlePacket[live/_definst_]: Audio codec is not supported by transcoder. Can only be used as PassThru: AC3
WARN    server  comment 2013-10-21      05:08:21        -       -       -       -       -       22.939  -       -       -       -       -       -       -       -       TranscoderStreamNameGroup.validateMembers
[_defaultVHost_:live/_definst_/mpegts.stream]: StreamNameGroup[source] audio codec is not valid for name group: AC3 (ac-3)
WARN    server  comment 2013-10-21      05:08:21        -       -       -       -       -       22.94   -       -       -       -       -       -       -       -       TranscoderStreamNameGroup.validateMembers
[_defaultVHost_:live/_definst_/mpegts.stream]: StreamNameGroup[720p] audio codec is not valid for name group: AC3 (ac-3)
WARN    server  comment 2013-10-21      05:08:21        -       -       -       -       -       22.941  -       -       -       -       -       -       -       -       TranscoderStreamNameGroup.validateMembers
[_defaultVHost_:live/_definst_/mpegts.stream]: StreamNameGroup[360p] audio codec is not valid for name group: AC3 (ac-3)
WARN    server  comment 2013-10-21      05:08:21        -       -       -       -       -       22.942  -       -       -       -       -       -       -       -       TranscoderStreamNameGroup.validateMembers[_defaultVHost_:live/_definst_/mpegts.stream]: StreamNameGroup[240p] audio codec is not valid for name group: AC3 (ac-3)
WARN    server  comment 2013-10-21      05:08:21        -       -       -       -       -       22.943  -       -       -       -       -       -       -       -       TranscoderStreamNameGroup.validateMembers[_defaultVHost_:live/_definst_/mpegts.stream]: StreamNameGroup[160p] audio codec is not valid for name group: AC3 (ac-3)
WARN    server  comment 2013-10-21      05:08:21        -       -       -       -       -       22.944  -       -       -       -       -       -       -       -       TranscoderStreamNameGroup.addInternal[_defaultVHost_:live/_definst_/mpegts.stream]: Name group was not added, it is empty: all
WARN    server  comment 2013-10-21      05:08:21        -       -       -       -       -       22.945  -       -       -       -       -       -       -       -       TranscoderStreamNameGroup.validateMembers[_defaultVHost_:live/_definst_/mpegts.stream]: StreamNameGroup[240p] audio codec is not valid for name group: AC3 (ac-3)
WARN    server  comment 2013-10-21      05:08:21        -       -       -       -       -       22.946  -       -       -       -       -       -       -       -       TranscoderStreamNameGroup.validateMembers[_defaultVHost_:live/_definst_/mpegts.stream]: StreamNameGroup[160p] audio codec is not valid for name group: AC3 (ac-3)
WARN    server  comment 2013-10-21      05:08:21        -       -       -       -       -       22.947  -       -       -       -       -       -       -       -       TranscoderStreamNameGroup.addInternal[_de
faultVHost_:live/_definst_/mpegts.stream]: Name group was not added, it is empty: mobile

I got this from the server output when the stream starts:

INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.handlePacket[live/_definst_/mpegts.stream]: Video codec:H264 isCompatible:true
INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.handlePacket[live/_definst_/mpegts.stream]: Audio codec:AC3 isCompatible:true
INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.handlePacket[live/_definst_/mpegts.stream][ac-3]: AC3 Audio info: {AC3Frame: codec:AC-3, channels:2, frequency:48000, samplesPerFrame:1536, size:1280}
INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.handlePacket[live/_definst_/mpegts.stream][avc1.100.40]: H.264 (Video may not be playable on older iPhone and iPod touch devices where Main/Level 3.1 or lower is required) Video info: {H264CodecConfigInfo: codec:H264, profile:High, level:4.0, frameSize:1920x1080, displaySize:1920x1080, frameRate:59.94, PAR:1:1, crop: l:0 r:0 t:0 b:4}
INFO cupertino connect 1718419584 -
INFO stream create mpegts.stream -
INFO server comment - ModuleMediaReaderNotify.onHTTPSessionCreate: live/mpegts.stream/playlist.m3u8 queryStr:null
INFO server comment - HTTPStreamerAdapterCupertinoStreamer.onPlaylist: live/mpegts.stream/chunklist_w1718419584.m3u8
INFO server comment - HTTPStreamerAdapterCupertinoStreamer.onPlaylist: live/mpegts.stream/chunklist_w1718419584.m3u8
INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.endChunkTS[live/_definst_/mpegts.stream]: Add chunk: id:1 mode:TS[H264,AC3] a/v/k:41/144/6 duration:3946

Thanks again