Wowza Community

HLS AES external encryption and non-iOS devices

Hi folks,

The instructions for setting up external AES talk about Apple devices only. What if we require the streams to be playable in JWPlayer 6 Premium, Android 4.1+ or VLC? I tried this and none of these were able to play the streams.

AES encryption won’t work in RTMP or RTSP, but RTMP and RTSP will work as usual without encryption. You can use RTMPE or RTMPS to encrypt RTMP. There is not an encryption option for RTSP.

Richard

I can’t answer as to whether a particular client will support HLS encrypted streams or not, but there is nothing different to do on the Wowza side that will make those that do not work, work.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Sorry I was not clear, I am not talking about RTMP/RTSP, but using HLS/cupertino streams with non-iOS devices. Modern Android devices all work quite well with it now, JWPlayer 6 Premium accepts it, VLC player as well.

OK so, I managed to have it working and can confirm that Android 4.0+ and VLC can also handle this system.

An additional question, though. Is it possible to use the same key for several streams? I have up to 3 versions of the same stream (low, medium, high) and it would make management a lot easier if they all used the same key. And I see the .key files hold the string in plain text, I am just not sure if I can just copy and paste the same string to each file…