Thread: Alias for wowzacaptionfile

Default Alias for wowzacaptionfile

Hi,

I'm using the IMediaStreamNameAliasProvider2 to alias my video files, but I'd like to use a similar construction for the caption files. I'm using 'wowzacaptionfile' in the query string, which contains the path to my subtitle file, but I'd like to be able to modify this path in my Wowza module. I haven't yet been able to figure out where/how to do this.

The path passed in 'wowzacaptionfile' doesn't seem to get modified by my StreamAlias class. Is it possible to do this? Or do I have to use some other construction?

I've also tried using httpSession.setQueryStr(), which works for modifying the query string, but it seems that Wowza has already parsed and used this string, before I get any chance to override its contents.

Is there any way to change the subtitle file path for Cupertino streaming?

Thanks in advance!

Pieter

The caption files need to be located beside the video file in the same directory.

You can change the path to the directory that holds the video and caption file by changing the storage path in the Application.xml file.

As long as the caption file is beside the video file, you can access the caption file like this:
    http://[wowza-ip-address]:1935/vod/mp4:sample.mp4/playlist.m3u8?wowzacaptionfile=your-file-name.str
    Salvadore

Thank you for your quick reply Salvadore. However, this is not what I'm looking for.

I have already set the base storage path in my config. But my video and captions files need to be served from a variable subdirectory in this storage path. When I request a video called sample.mp4, Wowza will serve this file from /storage/sample.mp4 (/storage is the storage path set in my config). I'm using an Alias class to "redirect" this request to /storage/[variable-subdirectory]/sample.mp4.

I want to do this same thing for caption files. So for instance when I request sample.srt, instead of Wowza using /storage/sample.srt, I need to be able to change this dynamically to /storage/[variable-subdirectory]/sample.srt, so for instance /storage/cache/sample.srt.

I'm sorry if my original question was vague. I hope I've been able to clear this up somewhat.

Thanks again!

Pieter

This should still work as long as the video and caption files are located in the same sub-folder. The caption file does not need the same name as the video file, although it would help keep things organized.

For example if the sub-folder was named "cache":
    /content/cache
    sample.mp4
    sample_En.srt
    sample_Fr.srt

You could play back the stream as
    http://[wowza-ip-address]:1935/vod/_definst_/mp4:cache/sample.mp4/playlist.m3u8?wowzacaptionfile=sample_Fr.str
    When using sub-folders, you need to add _definst_ to the URL.

I hope this helps, but maybe I am still not sure what you are after

Salvadore

Aliasing the caption file itself is not supported.

Salvadore

That's unfortunate. Do you plan on implementing this in the future? It seems like it would be a good feature to have, as it would improve Wowza's 'compatibility' with different server/filesystem setups.

Thanks again for your help.

Pieter

Hi,
    I will add this to the list of potential features and when reviewed, it will be considered for later versions of Wowza Media Server.

Thanks for your feedback
    Jason

Hi Jason,

that sounds excellent. Thank you for your support!

Pieter