Thread: Content playback on mobile devices

Default Content playback on mobile devices

I have recently switched from Flash Media Server to Wowza Media Server. My organization serves thousands of videos and most of the time we can't control how each video is encoded. We can set guidelines, but they have to be simple. (IE: h.264, mp4, etc..).

With FMS we are able to play videos that have a high level 4 encoding profile on most mobile devices. With Wowza, that is not the case. The same video that work on my iPhone 5 using FMS doesn't work using Wowza. Is there a way to make this work without re-encoding the files?

This is a limitation of the playback device rather then a Wowza limitation.

Are you testing playback from Wowza on the same device that worked with FMS?

Here is a an article explaining supported profiles for various iOS versions:
    How to find Apple iOS device supported profile and level information

Salvadore

I am testing with the same device. I have read that page before. Just not sure why it works in fms.

IE:

FMS:
    http://ome.ksu.edu/lectures/landon2/fms.html

Wowza:
    http://ome.ksu.edu/lectures/landon2/wowza.html

Both pages work in safari and plays the videos correctly. Only the fms page plays back on my iphone 5c and ipad 2.

The video has a very large frame size, it is High Profile with 1920x1080 frame size. It might help to reduce Profile by reducing frame size.

I note that the chunks are different sizes of the FMS and Wowza segments of this file encoded with b-frames perhaps? If so, try an encoding without b-frames. Take a look at this encoding guide

Otherwise, you can open a ticket by writing support@wowza.com and send a link to download the file, and include a link to this thread for reference.

Richard

I have also tried 1280X720 which made the encoding profile Baseline L3.1. Which according to the docs, should work on most iphones and ipads.

I assume you are referring to the chunk size that wowza uses when it creates the playlist. Is it possible to lower the chuck size?

You can by setting cupertinoChunkDurationTarget, but chunks are broken on key frames, and that should be a factor of the target setting. More info here

It is odd that the chunks are different length by default. The Wowza sample I looked at was 9 seconds, and the FMS one was 7 seconds. b-frames might be possible reason for the difference, is the only thing I can think of.

Richard