Thread: nDVR + Pre-Roll

Question nDVR + Pre-Roll

Hi,

i managed to get the "Pre-Roll until live" working. I would like to extend the module to get the following behaviour:

Play Playlist items while there's no live stream. ( no rewind-feature! )
    Play Live-Stream with "rewind"-feature when there's a live-stream.

Currently this doesn't work.
    I don't find a way to tell the "swapToLive" - function that it should switch from Playlist to DVR.

In my Web-Player I can select "?DVR", but this returns an Error #2032 when i'm in "Playlist-Mode"

I managed to switch DVR-Recording on as soon as I have a live-stream and switch it off as soon as the live-stream goes offline.

I hope you understood my needs and can push me into the right direction...

You can enable nDVR for the entire stream. The portion of the stream that is has its source in the file is just part of the live stream. The entire stream can be DVR'd

Richard

Hi, thanks for your quick reply!

Sorry, i've not clearly described my goal:

I would like to disable the DVR Feature for "playlist-mode", because this is playing only some taped videoclips.
    It's only necessary in "livestream-mode".

Thanks.

There is no such "playlist-mode" when using this feature. The scheduler is using Wowza Stream class streams which is essentially a live stream. The source for a Stream class stream can be another live stream or a static file, and they can be mixed sequentially in any order into the Stream class live stream that you playback. There is no distinction from the playback point of view or Wowza between file source and other live stream source, it's just one live stream.

You can write code to start and stop nDVR recording, and you can detect the server-side switches in Stream class stream and know what the source is, but I do not think there is a way to put that together that would disable and enable client-side DVR features. In Flash, as a work-around, you might play an RTMP stream first, wait to get NetStream.onPlayStatus "Netstream.Play.Complete" notification, then start the HDS playback with DVR.

Richard

On 2nd thought, you would lose the loop-until-live function if you followed that work-around, unless you added polling, much work. You could make a nice pre-roll for live stream, but you would lose the loop until live function.

Rihcard

OK, thanks again, this made it clearer for me.

Would it be possible to change the WindowDuration while recording / playback? This would be a possible workaround for me.

Edit: Just one more question to understand what happens "behind the scenes":

Obviously, it makes a difference, if I add the "?DVR" query string to a URL.

http://[my-url]:1935/live/stream/manifest.f4m
    http://[my-url]:1935/live/stream/manifest.f4m?DVR

Are this two different streams generated?
    If so, is it possible via API to check if a "DVR-Stream" is available and ready for playback for a "base stream"?
    Last edited by bastibeckr; 11-12-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Hi,
    It's not possible to edit the Application.xml to change the Window duration and have these changes take effect while the live stream is still running as it requires that the application be restarted.
    I suppose it could be possible (I have not tested) to edit the stream name using the stream alias Module to remove the ?DVR query string from the stream URL which may change the behavior of the client.
    In theory this would be triggered by the live even and thus the live even has the nDVR functionality and the pre-roll does not.

I imagine implementing above would involve a reasonably large amount of work and coding, I also can't guarantee that it will be successful.

Jason