Thread: RTMPE + RTMPS Clarifications

Default RTMPE + RTMPS Clarifications

Hi,
    I need some clarifications:
    1. Can rtmpe and rtmps both be implemented at the same time?
    2. If yes (I believe so, - fallback system is there), can just implementing the SSL method do for both or does it ALSO need the plugin to be included in the Application.xml file - for both cases, versions <3.1.0 and 3.6?
    3. This is about flowplayer - When using SSL, can we still include the secure token variable in the secure-streaming plugin of flowplayer?
    4. When using RTMPS, the URL should be the rtmps://xxx.streamlock.net/application URL?
    5. "ModuleSecureTokennConnect - Challenge does not equal response." - Could this be because of wrong SSL cert saved in the vhost or because of wrong Token being sent from the player?

Sorry for the confusing questions but we need some clarifications on these in order to suggest the best methods to a client. They wish to secure the streams using streamlock and rtmpe plugins. While rtmpe worked, rtmps didn't, at one time it said "ModuleSecureTokennConnect - Challenge does not equal response.", at others it said stream not found.

I have seen and followed both posts secure streaming and secure token rtmps and rtmpe related posts.

please guide.

Thanks
    Inderjeet

Hi,
    1. Can rtmpe and rtmps both be implemented at the same time?
    2. If yes (I believe so, - fallback system is there), can just implementing the SSL method do for both or does it ALSO need the plugin to be included in the Application.xml file - for both cases, versions <3.1.0 and 3.6?
    3. This is about flowplayer - When using SSL, can we still include the secure token variable in the secure-streaming plugin of flowplayer?
    4. When using RTMPS, the URL should be the rtmps://xxx.streamlock.net/application URL?
    5. "ModuleSecureTokennConnect - Challenge does not equal response." - Could this be because of wrong SSL cert saved in the vhost or because of wrong Token being sent from the player?
    1. Yes, you can either use RTMPS (port 443), RTMPE (port 1935) or even both at the same time, RTMPES (port 443)
    2. I think RTMPE is not application based, it's done on a per port basis.
    3. Using SSL shouldn't conflict with the secure-streaming plugin of Flowplayer but I personally haven't tried it.
    4. Yes, that would be the correct server URL.
    5. This is due to you using the wrong token being used, adding the token to Flowplayer should be similar to adding it to JW player of which a tutorial can be found below,
    SecureToken-protection-to-LongTail-JW-Player-5-and-6

Jason
    Last edited by JasonH; 11-14-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
    Hi,

1. Yes, you can either use RTMPS (port 443), RTMPE (port 1935) or even both at the same time, RTMPES (port 443)
    2. I think RTMPE is not application based, it's done on a per port basis.
    3. Using SSL shouldn't conflict with the secure-streaming plugin of Flowplayer but I personally haven't tried it.
    4. Yes, that would be the correct server URL.
    5. This is due to you using the wrong token being used, adding the token to Flowplayer should be similar to adding it to JW player of which a tutorial can be found below,
    SecureToken-protection-to-LongTail-JW-Player-5-and-6

Jason
    Hi Jason,
    Thank you for the replies. I was able to use RTMPS and RTMPE separately. But not both simultaneously. The desired objective is to use them both, this is because of an additional security layer. My queries pertain to RTMPES now. There is one additional thing to the scenario is the test server is version 3.1.0 and production is 3.6.x

1. so for RTMPES on Wowza < v3.2.1, both the wms-plugin-security and SSL steps needs to be added? When using both, the secure token challenge message starts coming. When using only rtmpe, without any change to token variable, it works. By removing the rtmpe/secure streaming add-on, the RTMPS works.
    2. As per the forum tutorial post , it is per application basis.
    3. Even I have not been able to zero in on the issue. Perhaps, they'll work on the same version of Wowza, i mean 3.6 where the security plugin is built-in. But I cannot test it since both add-ons need a license.
    4. For anyone else interested, when using stream-lock addon, the URL should be rtmps://youruniquekey.streamlock.net/application
    5. No, the token isn't wrong. That was the first thing to be checked. Yes, we have added and re-compiled the token to both players. the re-compiled swf file works on one wowza instance without any change but not on the other (Application.xml has the same token value in both).

yes, wms-secure streaming plugin is correct version. SSL alone works, RTMPE alone works.

Obviously, the simplest answer would be to upgrade the older version and try again. But first, i'd like to find the fault. If it works, I'll be glad to do a step-by-step post on this.

Thank you for your suggestions. Any further insights are welcome.

Thanks
    Inderjeet

No, rtmpse does not work.

a) rtmpse://xxxxyyyzzz.streamlock.net/application is not working
    b) rtmps://ipaddress/application/ works but obviously with ssl cert invalid error (no problem)
    c) rtmpse://ipaddress/application does not work
    d) rtmpe://xxxyyyzzz.streamlock.net/application works ---> Does this mean it is rtmpe over ssl, so RTMPSE??

The system does not know what is rtmpse:// - the connection does not even reach the Wowza server. For now, I have put the securetoken within the JS variable so it is working. I'll sort that out later.I think #4 above is what the goal was, but seeking confirmation from you experts.

Thanks!
    Inderjeet

Edit: had tried both rtmpes:// and rtmpse://
    Last edited by swexpert; 11-15-2013 at 03:41 AM.

Hi,

There is no such protocol as rtmpse so you cannot use both together on the same connection.

Roger.