Wowza Community

Video chat in android

Hi,

Can anyone help me on how to implement video chat in android mobile apps with Wowza server? No idea on where to start and how to proceed.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Kameswari

Hello,

First you will need to setup and optimize your Wowza server for video chat. Please take a look at this article describing how to do that: https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-set-up-live-video-chat

Then, you will need to create a custom Android software application that will have to run on the Android device, and will have to get the camera and microphone feed, encode it and stream it to your Wowza server. In the same time it needs to have the ability to connect to a separate Wowza stream to receive and playback the stream sent by the chat partner.

Zoran

You can start with the Wowza IDE and its guide

Wowza is extended with Java, which the IDE helps to facilitate.

Wowza ships with a Server-side API PDF and javadocs in the /documentation/serverapi folder

Several samples ship with Wowza in the /examples folder.

We can try to answer any questions you have about Wowza and client related problems, and can write to support@wowza.com. For more hands-on help you can post a job in the Find a Consultant forum, or write to support@wowza.com to ask for the list of independent consultants.

Richard

Hi,

We don’t provide servers for people to test on but you can download a Developer license or Trial license should you want to test before buying Wowza.

Jason

Hi,

That would depend on the clients you have connected, are you planing on using other applications other than the one you’re developing for Android devices?

Please take a look at the Media security overview, this should give you a good idea of what to use depending on which clients you’re providing a service to.

Jason

Hi,

It’s not possible to use Wowza to share files without adding a significant amount of custom code.

If you’re interested in this you can use the Wowza IDE2 to compile your code.

If you would like someone else to write this for you then you can contact a consultant through our Find a consultant forum.

Alternatively you can email support@wowza.com requesting the Independent consultants list.

Jason

Hi,

You should be able to test this using a developer license.

Jason

Many thanks Zoran.

Currently, I am working from android front. Do we have any test server available so that I can start working on that.

Meanwhile, our server team will do the needful to setup the Wowza server.

Thanks,

Kameswari

Ok. What type of encryption/decryption should be used for video streaming?

Hi,

I would like to use this inorder to develop video chat functionality in our application. The support from your team is awesome. Thanks for that. I would like to add the features to my chat applications as much as possible. As part of that, with wowza server, while doing the video chat between 2 users, is it possible to do file sharing also?

If yes, how can I do?

Hi,

As I said earlier, I would like to develop one application which supports video conferencing feature in mobile applications(both in Android and iOS). My app should support the following features.

1. Video chat

a. One to One

b. One to Many

c. Many to Many

1. IM

2. Whiteboard

3. Dashboard

4. Screen sharing

5. File sharing

6. Archiving

By going through your site, I came to know that I need to develop on custom application with Wowza to support all the features. Since I am not aware of server side application implementation, I have some basic queries like

1. Where and how to start to write?

2. What is the language/technologies need to be used to develop the application.

3. If any document regarding the APIs/SDKs exists, please share.

4. Any sample application is available, please share.

5. If got stuck while developing the app, how can I get the support immediately?

Please give me the proper guidance to start working on this. Many thanks for the support from you guys.

I am working from android front. Do we have any test server available so that I can start working on that.