Thread: URL obfuscation with Flowplayer and adaptive bitrate streaming video on demand

Default URL obfuscation and adaptive bitrate streaming with Flowplayer vod

Hello,

Introduction:
    I'm new here and not yet very experienced with Wowza.
    My application is working just fine.
    I'm using Flowplayer to play video's on demand from the Wowza server.
    I'm using Flowplayers bandwidth detection to serve a certain bitrate from a smil-file.
    I'm using an add-on to prevent hot-linking.

I had Flowplayer and Wowza succesfully working with URL obfuscation but without Adaptive Bitrate Streaming.

The problem:
    I don't know how to use both Adaptive Bitrate Streaming and URL obfuscation because these plugins for flowplayer are incompatible with each other.

The question:
    Is it possible to use both Adaptive Bitrate Streaming and URL obfuscation in combination with the Wowza server and Flowplayer?

Best regards,
    Simon
    Last edited by SimonS; 12-04-2013 at 01:34 AM. Reason: not specific enough

I understand you are interested in securing your streams. I would suggest you first look at Wowza's security options:
    Media Security Overview

Salvadore

Thank you for your reply,

I have looked at the security options before before but I can't seem to find a way to solve my problem.
    I also have looked into Flowplayer plugins for security options.
    There is for example a Flowplayer plugin wich allows me to obfuscate the URL. The plugin however doesn't work in combination with the bandwidth check plugin from Flowplayer. Without the bandwidth plugin i wont be able to use adaptive bitrate.
    An other problem with Flowplayer obfuscation plugin is that (I think) its necessary to put the clip url in the HTML code in order to have multiple Flowplayer on a single page. this means that you can simply see the original url before it has been obfuscated by simply turning of the javascript and take a look at the HTML.

I already have a Wowza plugin installed to prevent Hot-linking.

This is the situation i want to prevent, or at least make harder to do:
    I have a website where you can watch promotion material for free. Then on a paid section of the website you can watch video's. If someone would copy the video url from the Flowplayer of the paid video through an element inspector and paste it into a Flowplayer of a promotion video, that person would be able to watch that video unlimited for free and share this url.

How can i prevent this? (or at least make it more difficult?)
    Last edited by SimonS; 12-03-2013 at 02:38 AM.

You can use SecureToken.

This article explains how to enable SecureToken protection to JW Player 5 and 6, the steps for Flowplayer are essentially the same:
    How to add SecureToken protection to LongTail JW Player 5 and 6

And this guide explains how to re-compile Flowplayer

Salvadore

Thank you for your reply,

I have indeed tried the SecureToken. The problem is that , as far as I know, I need to use the Flowplayer secure plugin in combination width Wowza SecureToken. Flowplayers secure plugin does not work in combination with Flowplayers BWCheck plugin (also not with the Bitrate selection and clustering plugins: http://flash.flowplayer.org/plugins/...re.html#custom).
    I'd like to use Adaptive Bitrate for my vod.
    Do you happen to know how I can solve this? For example set thing up so that Wowza does the bandwidth check? Or should I move my question to the Flowplayer forum?
    I have looked at the Wowza BWChecker but I could't seem to get it working with flowplayer. (Are there more tutorials than this one: http://www.wowza.com/forums/content.php?118?)

Best regards,
    Simon