Thread: Stream info app?

Default Stream info app?

Is there an app or another way to retrieve information about streams?
    e.g. bitrate, aspect ratio, duration, etc
    ...or if it is a live stream, whether it's currently online (right now I can find that out just by pinging the stream url every 30 seconds or so)
    Thanks,
    -partap

You can get some information about published applications via serverinfo and connectioncounts. Also you may checkout JMX/JConsole for further information regarding your stream.

You can get a ton of info about each stream in JConsole if you add "MediaStream" to the /conf/Server.xml /AdminInterface /ObjectList, then re-start Wowza. You will see a MediaStream branch under the application instance. It does add overhead to include MediaStream to the JMX

Richard

I added MediaStream to the list (right after "IdleWorker") and restarted the server, but I don't see anything stream related in JConsole...
    Maybe I don't know enough about using JConsole (new to Java in general)

I see 6 tabs up top: "Overview", "Memory", "Threads", "Classes", "VMSummary" and "MBeans"
    Most of it seems to be info about the JVM, which I don't care about at this point...so I'm assuming I should look under MBeans.

There I get a tree with root nodes JMImplelentation, WowzaMediaServerPro, com.sun.management, java.lang, java.nio and java.util.logging

Under WowzaMediaServerPro I see Connections(*) HandlerThreadPool, IOPerformance(*), MediaCache, Server(*), VHosts, VHostConfigs
    ...no MediaStream branch anywhere I can find...

Assuming I could find the information with JConsole though, I'm still not sure this is what I'm looking for... JConsole seems like an administrative interface, whereas I'm looking for something more operational...

I was hoping for a wowza plugin that I could query... something like:
    http://wowzaserver:8086/myapp/stream...tream=mystream

And be able to determine stuff like resolution, bitrate, aspect ratio, runtime for vod streams, online status for live streams, codec, etc... the kind of information I could get by running avprobe or ffprobe on a local file...

My wowza server is running on AWS and VOD files are served from S3, and I want my app to have access to that kind of information for playlists, thumbnails, etc...

Am I going about it wrong?

Another thing you can use is IMediaStreamActionNotify3, which includes onCodecInfoAudio() and onCodecInfoVideo()

There is a ton of detailed info in JConsole too tho, including audio and video codec. With "MediaStream" added to the Server.xml /ObjectList, and with a stream started you will see this in mbeans tab > WowzaMediaServerPro > VHosts > _defaultVHost_ > Applications > [app-name] > Application Instances > _definst_ > MediaStreams

Richard

But JConsole would not be something you used in production like this. The MediaStreams list will be all streams including all playback streams, so significant overhead. It would be more for development and debugging

Richard