Wowza Community

Increase number of .TS chunks downloaded

Hi Wowza,

Love your product and your support.

I am live streaming HTTP via Cloudfront, with JW 6. I’m finding it all works really well. However, I am getting inconsistent network performance with Amazon (heading to the Sydney entrypoint)…trying to work out how to best cope with this.

I notice that the player will check for a new .m3u8 chunklist between download each .TS video chunk. Is there a way to have the player download 2 or more .TS chunks before re-checking for a new .m3u8 chunklist? I’d like the browser to effectively cache the forthcoming .TS chunk so it is ready to go, without waiting for download. I’m not fussed if the latency increases.

Thanks

I’ve got some links up live for the next 8 hours or so here:

http://www.handsometim.com/live/edge.php (via cloudfront as cdn)

http://www.handsometim.com/live/origin.php (straight to the origin server)

I also checked in with the JW Player guys, who believe the number of .TS chunks downloaded is controlled by the server not the player.

Thanks for any assistance!

iOS devices cache 3 chunks by default, you can configure this with cupertinoPlaylistChunkCount

Both of these links play well on the desktop. We really have no insight into what happens on the CF side.

Richard

Tim,

Those are the only Wowza server-side configuration options relevant to the number of HLS chunks for playback. I’m not sure how JW player is handling HLS chunks.

Richard

iOS devices cache 3 chunks by default, you can configure this with cupertinoPlaylistChunkCount

Both of these links play well on the desktop. We really have no insight into what happens on the CF side.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the information. I’m mostly interested in the desktop (flash environment) playback via JW player 6 of HLS chunks. We did play around with configuring the CupertinoPlaylistChunkCount, but that didn’t seem to change the number of .TS chunks that were downloaded between .m3u8 files. Should the CupertinoPlaylistChunkCount be altering all HLS playback?

From either the origin or CF, I am still seeing just one TS chunk downloaded between checking for m3u8s.

Tim