Thread: Wowza sticks to one CPU

Default Wowza sticks to one CPU

Hello,

We have currently some load because of many viewers (about 150 1280x720 streams of 4 Mbps).
    It works fine but it seems that Wowza is using just one CPU:

Viewers are watching two different streams but from one Application definition. How to make Wowza
    use both CPUs equally?

Hi,

Have you tuned this server? Be sure you've followed the steps in the Performance Tuning Guide.

-Tim

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I did most of the steps before. Now I added few more:
    - changed elevator
    - added noatime to fstab
    - decrease CPU settings based on [total-core-count] (it has 2 VCPUs under XEN)
    - increased CheckFrequency and IdleFrequency

And will see if it helps

Unfortunately it did not help. It sill uses one CPU.

To better understand your problem, we need to have a look at your server configuration and log files. Please send an email to support@wowza.com and include a copy of your [install-dir]/conf and /logs folders as a .zip file (or other archive) so we can take a closer look at your configuration and server activity. Also, please include a reference to this post.

Thank you,

-Tim

Thank you! I sent everything just few minutes ago.

Thanks again

Based on those 2 graphs ; Wowza is using 2 CPUs.

The softirq time you see is the handling of the network-card by Linux.

The other (nice+system) time is neatly distributed over the 2 CPUs. A bit of system probably is also used by the network card as well to push out that 150x4 = 600 Mbit of data.

You could instruct Linux to use another CPU to handle the network-IO but it would not matter a lot, just in case you'd have a process that is single-threaded and always would stick to CPU 0.

Thank you both for your answers. So it seems that high softirq is caused by network traffic.
    I have virtual machine running Wowza so I can give it as many vCPUs as I need but to be honest
    I don't know which is better - give manu vCPUs and irqbalance or maybe just one?

I am afraid that current configuration can't whitstand more than 1Gbps of traffic...

You have about 80% CPU usage MAX with 600 mbit. If you'd have more customers and IF the usage of CPU is linear with the extra amount of users, then yes, you won't be able to get 1 Gbit of outgoing bandwidth ; around 600 / 0.8 = 750 Mbit to be exactly.

In general the bandwidth (Gigabytes/month) is going to cost you more than an extra VCPU or 2 ...

Quote Originally Posted by WalterT View Post
    You have about 80% CPU usage MAX with 600 mbit. If you'd have more customers and IF the usage of CPU is linear with the extra amount of users, then yes, you won't be able to get 1 Gbit of outgoing bandwidth ; around 600 / 0.8 = 750 Mbit to be exactly.

In general the bandwidth (Gigabytes/month) is going to cost you more than an extra VCPU or 2 ...
    Hello!

Cost does not bother me as much. We own virtualisation and network infrastructure. I can give as much bandwidth and as many vcpu as I wish. Question is how to utilize extra vcpus? Irqbalance?