Thread: 5 live-lowlatency video's with thousands viewers. How much of them?

Default 5 live-lowlatency video's with thousands viewers. How much of them?

I'm developing a service with 5 live-lowlatency video's. Video is a live view from webcams of some users. Goal is the conversation between them.
    This conversation can be viewed by everyone. The question is how many users can watch this conversation simultaneously?
    I need theoretocal numbers, so let's assume that hardware is the best of late 2013. How much the numbers grows if I split the server's to a origin/edge?
    I now that question is kind of dull, but my chief asking me about this he need an approximate number, like 100, 500, 1000, 3000, 5000, 10000 etc.
    Thanks and sorry for my really bad english.

The capacity of a server is determined by the Hardware resources you are using (CPU, RAM, Disk I/O speed) and also the server internet bandwidth availability. Most common bottleneck when coming to maximum users capacity is the internet bandwidth available for the server running Wowza.
    To calculate the maximum number of users you will have to use this formula:
    stream bitrate * users +20% = total internet bandwidth

So, if your server is connected to a 100Mbps internet link, and the stream is encoded at 500kbps, this means that you will have a total capacity of approximately 160 users.
    users = (100Mbps - 20%)/0.5Mbps = 160 users

Of course, in order to get the exact numbers, you will have to perform your own capacity tests.

Thanks, that's clear!
    How do I get lifestream nitrate now? And, that's kind of obviously, but as I have 5 screens which is seen by every user I should divide my maximum users result to 5?

From a bandwidth utilization standpoint, it doesn't matter if you're streaming in groups - the bitrate of each stream will consume the same amount of available bandwidth.

Use the bit rate figure for each stream and multiply that by 5. This will be you baseline. Then estimate the number of viewing clients and multiply that figure by your baseline. This will be your total bandwidth estimate. As my colleague, Zoran, noted, maintain a 20% margin for "overhead" on top of your maximum estimate figure.

For more accurate estimates on server capacity, take a look at the RTMP Load Test Tool which can be used to generate RTMP load on a single Wowza Media Server to test configuration and performance.