Thread: Switching between two Wowza application sources

Default Switching between two Wowza application sources

Hi!

How can I specify the stream of type "live" to be used as the source for another "live" stream on the same Wowza server, but in different application. Can this be done with
    MediaCaster or Edge server configuration?

Thanks!
    Atmapuri

You can use a Live Stream Repeater to achieve this.
    How to configure a live stream repeater

Salvadore

Quote Originally Posted by salvadore View Post
    You can use a Live Stream Repeater to achieve this.
    How to configure a live stream repeater

Salvadore
    Thanks. Can the edge server (the repeater) again be used as an origin?

Thanks!
    Atmapuri

Yes, the "origin" and "edge" are applications, you can have them both running on the same server.

Salvadore

Dear Salvadore,

Do you have some example how to switch between two origin servers from the java code on the edge server on the fly?

Thanks!
    Atmapuri

I am still not 100% sure what you are trying to do, but take a look at this article:
    How to switch streams using Stream class streams

If that is not the ticket, can you please describe in more detail what you are needing to accomplish?

Salvadore

Quote Originally Posted by salvadore View Post
    I am still not 100% sure what you are trying to do, but take a look at this article:
    How to switch streams using Stream class streams

If that is not the ticket, can you please describe in more detail what you are needing to accomplish?

Salvadore
    If I have three applications and would like to switch the Application3 Stream3 of the third, so that once it is pointing to the first source Application Stream1 and then to Application Stream2.

How do I do that in code? In the example you posted, you are switching between 3 streams in the same application.
    What needs to be changed, to have the source Streams each in separate application possibly on other server.

Thanks!
    Atmapuri
    Last edited by Atmapuri; 12-12-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Hi,

It is not possible to access source streams from other applications directly using the Streams api.

As already mentioned, you need to publish the source into the application instance where you are configuring the server side stream.

You can do this using a the mediaCaster to pull the streams from the other application. It is not easy to switch a mediaCaster between sources so it is best to start a separate mediaCaster for each one.

Roger.

Hello Roger,

So, I start three applications on the same server. Set first application to live-record with stream name Stream1, Configure the second as schedule live StreamPublisher with stream name Stream2. Then I go to application three and start two mediaCasters to run 24/7:

appInstance.startMediaCasterStream("axis.stream1", "rtp");
    appInstance.startMediaCasterStream("axis.stream2", "rtp");

String streamName = "MainStream";
    Playlist playlist1 = new Playlist("pl1");
    Playlist playlist2 = new Playlist("pl2");

playlist1.setRepeat(true);
    playlist2.setRepeat(true);

playlist1.addItem("axis.stream1", -2, -1);
    playlist2.addItem("axis.stream2", -2, -1);

And then through the HTTPProvider command call then do:

void SwitchChannel(String Param1)
    {
    Stream stream = (Stream)client.getAppInstance().getProperties().getProperty(streamName);
    Playlist playlist1 = (Playlist)client.getAppInstance().getProperties().getProperty("pl1");
    Playlist playlist2 = (Playlist)client.getAppInstance().getProperties().getProperty("pl2");
    if (Param1 = "Channel1") playlist1.open(stream);
    if (Param1 = "Channel2") playlist2.open(stream);
    }

Could that work? How does mediaCaster know where is the source server and what is the name of the source stream?

Thanks!
    Atmapuri

There are two MediaCaster types you can use: "rtp" and "liverepeater"

You are using MediaCaster type "rtp" to start an axis camera, which makes that live stream available on the application you started it for playback, and as a source for Stream class streams in that application.

To cross applications, the other MediaCaster type you can use is "liverepeater". In that case you are using one live application to re-stream from another application. When you do that you will be able to play it back from the 2nd application or use it in a Stream class stream. This is the basic Live Stream Repeater Guide. It is generally used to scale live streams to edge clusters, but you can use it to cross applications as I described, the "edge" and "origin" are just applications.

Richard