Thread: Secure RTMP publishing

Default Secure RTMP publishing

I surveyed some articles about secure RTMP publishing, and found 2 related modules ModuleSecureURLParams and ModuleRTMPAuthenticate(less data).
    I am trying to find out ways to encrypt the publishing data like RTMPS, but nothing found.
    Maybe it's a stupid question, but anyway to encrypt the publishing data between encoder and wowza server?

Last edited by andy_c; 12-13-2013 at 04:00 AM.

You will need to do this on the encoder side, with an encoder that supports RTMPE. FMLE does not support RTMPE but FFMPEG does, I believe.

Hi Salvadore,

That's great to hear it's possible. Could you kindly prompt instructions or articles to tell how to configure rtmpe on both wms & rtmp encoder(ffmpeg)?

I don't think you need anything on the Wowza side. The RTMPE Addon is required for RTMPE playback, but not publishing. I have tried it with FFmpeg and it did work, and all that was required was to use rtmpe, for example:

ffmpeg -re -i "%WMSAPP_HOME%/content/sample.mp4"  -vcodec libx264  -vb 150000 -g 60 -vprofile baseline -level 2.1 -acodec aac -ab 64000 -ar 48000 -ac 2 -vbsf h264_mp4toannexb -strict experimental -f flv rtmpe://localhost/live/ffmpegStream
    In the Wowza logs:

connect-pending	session	rtmpe://localhost/live
    connect	session	rtmpe://localhost/live
    comment	server	-
    create	stream	rtmpe://localhost/live
    publish	stream	rtmpe://localhost/live

Thanks, Richard.
    BTW, Could I say RTMPS publishing is not supported between encorder and wms? (I prefer to use RTMPS as wowza's suggesting)

Last edited by andy_c; 12-15-2013 at 07:20 PM.

We recommend RTMPS encryption for playback. It is unusual to use RTMPS for publishing, but it can work as far as I know if you have the proper SSL certificates involved.

got it, thank your explanation.