Thread: Live streaming for 1 - next door (less than 300ft)

Default Live streaming for 1 - next door (less than 300ft)

Right. I'm lost and I hope someone is able to help here...

What I want to do: "live stream to the next building for a single client (machine that is)"
    What works in my head:
    Camcorder -> encoder -> (sound in via mixer board) computer(?) -> router (via ethernet) -> (same) router (via wireless)
    -> computer (in next building) with VLC -> large TV (ideally around 720p resolution)

In reality: I haven't the first clue.

1. I own a JVC HD Everio GZ-HD500SEK)
    2. Own a DELL XPS 15 / another Samsung laptop
    3. Just bought a ASUS RT-N16 (planning to run DD-WRT to increase wireless range)
    4. Now what?

I read about:
    http://static-shell.cerevo.com/pro/en/feature.html
    http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity

So I'm thinking.. The Cerevo Shell can post to an RTMP server -- then I'd have a Wowza server running on my laptop (laptop being connected to the same router as the cerevo shell). Then the client machine would connect to the wowza server output via VLC and show that to the TV - connected via hdmi or whatever..

Sound about right? Am I making it was more complicated than it needs to be? What's the most simple solution? Is wowza overkill?

You could just get a nice IP camera, the Axis line is a standard. For one client you would not need Wowza. You can view the stream from an IP camera in its web interface or by rtsp (if supported) in VLC.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    You could just get a nice IP camera, the Axis line is a standard. For one client you would not need Wowza. You can view the stream from an IP camera in its web interface or by rtsp (if supported) in VLC.

Richard
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've had a quick look at Axis and it seems they do security cameras. Perhaps I got the wrong link. Anyway, just wanted a setup under a grand.. still looking - so if you have a suggestion, I'd be all ears.