Thread: app limitation big problem

Exclamation app limitation big problem

i am using resolution of 640 x 360 on my 4g and it works perfectly... than 4g drops to 3g and it also works fine .. but sometimes it put 3g limit to 480 x 360 which cause the stream to be slow and if fresh start it will change the resolution to 480 !
    i dont need this limitation my 3g can handle that resolution what can i do ?

Hi,

What version of GoCoder are you using? We recently released GoCoder version 1.3.0 with the following improvements:

- Added 1080p support on devices that support it.
    - Addressed memory leak issues leading to crashes when streaming over long periods.
    - Added Video Only broadcast mode.
    - Removed frame size and bit rate limitation when streaming over cellular networks.

The last bullet point may help you. For more information, see the update in your iOS device or visit the Apple App Store.

Please keep us posted.

-Tim

Default Tim i am using 1.3.0

hi tim, yes i know what your last update do but seems you missed 2 points
    the limitation is still there and the app crash in case its auto restarting and connection was between bad and good. most probably client connected than assigned to nil ...
    i am having your app on 2 devices and both got latest update , i even deleted and reinstall ... the limitation on 3g is there .. bit in case of 4g or lte the limitation goes.

Quote Originally Posted by tim_d View Post
    Hi,

What version of GoCoder are you using? We recently released GoCoder version 1.3.0 with the following improvements:

- Added 1080p support on devices that support it.
    - Addressed memory leak issues leading to crashes when streaming over long periods.
    - Added Video Only broadcast mode.
    - Removed frame size and bit rate limitation when streaming over cellular networks.

The last bullet point may help you. For more information, see the update in your iOS device or visit the Apple App Store.

Please keep us posted.

-Tim

I am pleased that you have upgraded to GoCoder 1.3.0.

It sounds like streaming at 640x360, on 4G, functions with no issues. Furthermore, when your network is downgraded to a 3G network, you continue to stream successfully at 640x360. What bit rate are you using for this stream (700, 1500, 2500 or 3500 kbps)?

You also describe a problem when streaming at 480x360 on 3G, resulting in poor stream quality. What is the bit rate that you have set at this resolution (140, 280, 560 or 700 kbps)? Are you experiencing the limit warning only on 3G? Is is the warning consistent on all devices? I am curious if the warning only appears on 3G, and not 4G or LTE, as you described earlier.

As to the app crashing when switching from "bad and good," I would need more detail about this problem. There are many factors when streaming from mobile including alerts, other apps running in the background, network dynamics, etc. Can you provide more detail about the issue? Can you duplicate this crash?

-Tim

Default ill describe

thanks tim for the reply and excuse my english , its not my native language but ill try to express my and describe as much as i can.
    at 4g or lte connection choosing any resolution will work even the hd at any bitrate will work perfectly, even if the connection drops to 3g if iam connected already nothing will happen and the video will continue very smooth! i dont notice. its perfect.
    Now if i disabled lte or 4g and force 3g at any and by any i mean any resolution higher than 480 . >= 640 the limit error will come and it will force the resoltion to 480 x 360. it doesnt matter what bitrate i choose , just any higher res will force this alert to popup and limit me. i tested it on iphone 5 and 5s same.
    about the 3g low resolution , no i didnt mean that ... the app is working perfectly on 3g or 4g or wifi the resolution is perfect.
    now about the disconnect its easy to duplicate the crash, put auto restart on . now begin streaming go to a location where 3g or 4g loos it signal in between, 3g to edge or 3g to bad location where signal go off (im talking about a dead spot) 1 meter . i dont know how to explain it. i hope you understood me. if i have time ill record a real live test.

now i got a question if u can help with , i am choosing 700 kb . but im checking how much data im spending (bandwith) i see that i spend around 60-70kb per second and not 700 . im choosing 480x360 700 kb video only, how to do the math? why im only spending this low amount( which is gr8) but im sure im missing some logic

edit: is this math right kbits *1000 div by8 than div by 1024 gives KB im spending ?
    so (700 kbps * 1000 / 8 ) / 1024 around 85.4
    maybe im spending less because im puting video only without audio ?
    correct me if im wrong please

I am pleased that you have upgraded to GoCoder 1.3.0.

It sounds like streaming at 640x360, on 4G, functions with no issues. Furthermore, when your network is downgraded to a 3G network, you continue to stream successfully at 640x360. What bit rate are you using for this stream (700, 1500, 2500 or 3500 kbps)?

You also describe a problem when streaming at 480x360 on 3G, resulting in poor stream quality. What is the bit rate that you have set at this resolution (140, 280, 560 or 700 kbps)? Are you experiencing the limit warning only on 3G? Is is the warning consistent on all devices? I am curious if the warning only appears on 3G, and not 4G or LTE, as you described earlier.

As to the app crashing when switching from "bad and good," I would need more detail about this problem. There are many factors when streaming from mobile including alerts, other apps running in the background, network dynamics, etc. Can you provide more detail about the issue? Can you duplicate this crash?

-Tim
    Last edited by gentmat; 12-17-2013 at 01:16 PM.

After some research on this issue, it seems that your findings are consistent. On iOS 7 (and later) we DO detect if the connection is LTE/WiFi or not. If the result is LTE, the size and bandwidth restriction is removed. If not LTE, during setup, the restriction will remain.

Based on your feedback, it sounds like once you start in LTE, and are downgraded to 4G and 3G, while streaming, you continue to experience good streaming performance. It would seem that GoCoder continues to function, without restriction, if the stream was configured while on an LTE network. This poses an interesting question: Are we setting the restriction too low? What has your experience been when streaming at higher settings on 3G? Can you share the settings you are using on LTE and how they continue to perform after moving to 3G? This would be valuable feedback for us.

As to the issue you originally report, I don't expect we will change this restriction until we have more data on this issue. Ideally, it would be great if GoCoder could sense the network conditions between the device and Wowza, and adjust accordingly, however, that capability is not available at this time.

-Tim

Post Weird !

Are we setting the restriction too low ?

- Well why are you doing restriction anyway ? In USA the 3g may be slow but here the 3g is so fast ! min upload speed that i have in any carrier is 3mb/sec , thats the min i have !
    Why would you use restriction ? if to keep your app works as it should than restrict the HD streaming
    But 640 x 480 should be open for 3g ! its only 1500 kbps which 3g can handle easily .

Can you share the settings you are using on LTE and how they continue to perform after moving to 3G?

640 x 480 on 1500 kbps is pretty good on 3g for me , i can even go up if i want .
    do the math , the upload should be at least 50-60% of your bandwidth
    so on 1500 kbps and thats around 185KB/second i am not even near the 50 % , i got min of 3000 KB/ sec which allow me to stream on 3g more than 3500 kbps
    which is around 500 KB/sec . so i m still fine even with 3500kbps

there is no harm if you increase the limitation ? does it affect your code ? NO .. does it take time to do that ? NO
    you did very good app but your doing like APPLE restrict people to breath

Thanks Anyway for the good app.

After some research on this issue, it seems that your findings are consistent. On iOS 7 (and later) we DO detect if the connection is LTE/WiFi or not. If the result is LTE, the size and bandwidth restriction is removed. If not LTE, during setup, the restriction will remain.

Based on your feedback, it sounds like once you start in LTE, and are downgraded to 4G and 3G, while streaming, you continue to experience good streaming performance. It would seem that GoCoder continues to function, without restriction, if the stream was configured while on an LTE network. This poses an interesting question: Are we setting the restriction too low? What has your experience been when streaming at higher settings on 3G? Can you share the settings you are using on LTE and how they continue to perform after moving to 3G? This would be valuable feedback for us.

As to the issue you originally report, I don't expect we will change this restriction until we have more data on this issue. Ideally, it would be great if GoCoder could sense the network conditions between the device and Wowza, and adjust accordingly, however, that capability is not available at this time.

-Tim

Your comments have been received and will be considered. Thanks for the report,

Richard

Smile thx both one more question

sorry to bother you again guys but i got one last question to ask, is there any chance where i can pay for 2 small tweaks for this app . forget about limitation it doesnt really matter but i want to pay for 2 little tweaks .
    1- when opening the application i want the stream to start instantly with locked focus.
    2- lock button to switch on so when i press the red button by mistake i dont end the stream.

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    Your comments have been received and will be considered. Thanks for the report,

Richard

I will forward as a suggestion. There isn't a way to pay for feature requests. I would refer you to an independent consultant, but I don't think there is a way to modify or extend goCoder in any way at present.

Richard